Hello from me and my 3 Amigos!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Elizabeth Mc, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth Mc

Elizabeth Mc New Member

Hello all. I am new to the forums having just received a diagnosis last week that my kitty boy Jack is diabetic at the age of 12. I also have a 2 year old named Felix and my Son and his kitty Ragnar, who is also 2, live at my house.

I am very very brand new to all of this and have much to learn. I just wanted to introduce myself and my brood and say thank you in advance for all the wonderful information you all have taken the time to share here. I am grateful to not feel so alone while in this steep learning curve.

Elizabeth

2. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Welcome !
    I am not able to give dosing advice as I am fairly new.
    Are you currently giving insulin?
    If so are you home testing?
    What kind of food are you feeding?
    Also if you set up a Spread Sheet those with more experience will be able to give you guidance.

Sarah Smith and Elizabeth Mc like this.
  3. Walker

Walker New Member

Hi Elizabeth. I also have a 12 year old boy just diagnosed.

You aren't alone on the learning curve.:)

Elizabeth Mc and DebG like this.
  4. Elizabeth Mc

Elizabeth Mc New Member

DebG - He is receiving 1 unit twice a day and we go back in Thursday for testing. I will be doing home testing and am researching which unit I want to buy. Right now he is eating the canned DM food the vet sent us home with, and we also got a bag of dry DM. I feel fortunate that he is not an overly picky kitty and he seems to be rolling with the punches of what I am feeding him quite well. I will be setting up a spreadsheet once I have some data on the regular. Much to learn, that is for sure! :)

5. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome Elizabeth to you and your crew :)

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to the message board, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test. All of our insulin guidelines use human glucometer numbers for reference.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

7. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.