Hello from Mo....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sue (Mo's Mum), Apr 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue (Mo's Mum)

Sue (Mo's Mum) Member

Hi,

My cat is named Mo (Morrissey in full!).

We are off to the vets in an hour... for the 8th time in as many weeks.

A bit of history - Mo has been being sick every day for quite some time, six months ago it was once or twice a week and then gradually became most days, usually overnight. I changed him to a sensitive tummy food (dry kibble) around January and about the same time he became very thirsty, sitting by the kitchen sink tap and drinking from it whenever anyone would turn it on for him - I invested in a water fountain and noticed he was drinking even more. We also noticed he drooled when he was sleeping, and was very hungry. He would also try to steal food and began to be very interested in chocolate and sweet foods. He was also losing weight.

About 8 weeks ago we took him to the vets (post googling!) and asked if she thought he might be diabetic. She had seen him back in November for an abcess on his face, and when she saw him this time she said she thought his liver was enlarged and wanted to do blood tests. She also gave him an antibiotic shot, and some zantac to help his tummy. We were told she'd call with the results, see him in two weeks.... but to bring him back if he was sick again - she suspected hepatitis. He was sick a week later, we returned and she said he needed another antibiotic shot and gave him another medicine - Famotidine - for his tummy. We again suggested Diabetes, but were told although his glucose levels in blood were high this was probably due to stress. It was suggested an ultrasound was a good idea, so we returned for that and at that apt it was suggested that as she saw nothing other than a slightly enlarged liver, a different blood test be carried out for a feline virus (?). He was sick again and so she put him on a longer course of Famotidine and he's not been sick since taking this every morning.

I explained again his now incessant thirst, emptying the litter tray every two days as it was soaking and his desire for more chocolate (he stole biscuits!) but it was still ignored.

I called for the latest blood results two days ago and it was suggested a urine sample be done (I understood it had been done during the ultrasound but they said in the call his bladder wasn't full enough so they hadn't done it... So, back to the vets to collect a special litter kit to collect the sample - and today they have called to say he has a very high glucose level in his urine and I need to bring him in 'now' for a fructosamine blood test.

I'm concerned it's taken almost eight weeks to get to where I suggested back then! I'm hoping he's not got worse in the interim, and I think it's time I asked a few questions as to why they didn't start with a urine test at £18 versus all the other stuff that so far has cost us £600. (no insurance... I know, I know... :-( ).

How easily was your cat diagnosed?

Thanks

Sue

Edited to add - Mo is a smallish ginger tom, 10 years old and weighs 4.2kg.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Reason for edit: Added info
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Sue, Welcome! My kitty was diagnosed right away. I brought him in because he had lost weight and was drinking excessively. Vet pulled blood to test and diabetes was diagnosed. Come over to the Main Health forum and tell us more about Mo.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! My cat was also diagnosed quickly. A blood glucose test and urine test were all that was needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.