Hello from Pearl's mommy, newly diagnosed.

Discussion in 'Welcome to the Group - Post an Introduction Here' started by PamJean, Feb 14, 2015.

1. PamJean

PamJean New Member

Hello my name is Pam. My beautiful calico Pearl, 10 years old, was just diagnosed with diabetes. Her vet gave her the first shot yesterday and taught my husband and I everything we need to know about taking care of her. He is such a great vet and explains everything so it is easy to understand. I gave her shot this morning and she ate her breakfast. But, she didn't eat all of it. After a few hours, she wanted a snack so I gave her some of her leftover breakfast. I hope that was ok. I am going to learn how to test her blood at home so I can monitor her closely. My husband and I work about 9 hours a day so I'm worried about her sugar dropping and no one home to rescue her. Any suggestions?

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

We'll need a few more details to be able to give you good answers.
    What insulin and dose are you using?
    What food?

The most recommended insulins for cats are Levemir, ProZinc, Lantus and BCP PZI as they all last roughly 12 hours in the cat. Other insulins tend to last less than 8-10 hours, specificially Humulin/Novolin N, Vetsulin/Caninsulin.

We strongly advocate a low carb canned or raw diet per Dr Lisa Pierson, DVM, who focuses on feline nutrition. You may read more about feline nutrition at Cat Info.

For home testing, an inexpensive human glucometer and matching test strips, such as the WalMart ReliOn Confirm or Confirm Micro, or the Target Up and Up work pretty well using feline specific reference numbers (found in my signature link Glucometer Notes). You'll need 26-28 gauge lancets, which are often labeled for alternate site testing as they have a slightly larger diameter. Meters with True or Free in the name may not do well identifying very high numbers in cats.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  3. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hello Pam and pearl

Most people allow their cats to graze on food throughout the day and so you might like to get a timed feeder (I have a pet safe 5). That way if they can better regulate their own blood glucose.

If you can let us know what insulin and what dose pearl is on then we can give you some more pointers about keeping her safe. It is really useful to add it to your signature along with any other medication she takes, other conditions.

I just want to point out the information on what to do in the case of low blood glucose. Please be prepared
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

It is great that you will be hometesting. Here is some great tips
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

4. PamJean

PamJean New Member

My vet gave me Vetsulin and we are at 2 units twice a day. The special cat food he gave us is called DM, dietetic management. I hear a lot about Lantus. We go back to the vet on Tuesday and I'll ask about switching to one that lasts 12 hours because my husband and I are gone from the home at least 9 hours a day and I don't want her sugar to get out of whack again. Her reading was 411 at the vet. I plan on home testing but my vet wants to do it the first couple of times in case we need to adjust anything. Then I'll start home testing. I wasn't sure if we could use a human glucometer so that's good news. My husband is diabetic and he has an extra one that all I need to do is get some strips for. I tried to feed my cats wet food one time and they turned up their little noses! But I am willing to try again because one bag of the DM is $36, and it's only about a 10lb bag. So if I can get an inexpensive food that both kitties could eat, that would be wonderful. I am even willing to make their food at home. My son had a diabetic dog and they made their own food and it worked out great. The dog lived 8 years after her diagnosis. I'm so glad I was directed to find this site!

5. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

It's great you already have a meter. I personally wouldn't wait to go back to the vets to try it out. The trouble with the vets readings is that a stressed cats blood glucose can go up by about 100 points so home testing gives you a better idea of what your cats blood glucose is doing.

I agree on the lantus it is longer lasting the preferred option for most members. Vetsulin can give very steep drops and then the system quickly. My cat was on it at first but I got concerned about the lack of coverage. Have a look at this document and perhaps discuss it with your vet.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/AAHADiabetesGuidelines.pdf

With regards food the link BJM gave you earlier had a c hart of foods that will help. The website also has tips for transitioning over to low carb wet. I wouldn't do this though until you are testing at home as it can lower a cats blood glucose and hence need for the amount if insulin.

Can you add details of the insulin and food along with any medication to your signature.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There are a tiny number of low carb dry foods that may serve as a transition until you can get switched to canned or raw food.
    They are:
    Evo Cat and Kitten
    Epigen 90
    Young Again 0 Carb (internet only, 5% calories from carbohydrate as we calculate it, amounts fed are tiny so check cost per serving not cost per bag.)