Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jen and Alfie, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Hello everyone

My lovely boy Alfie was diagnosed last week and I think my head is ready to explode with the amount of information I've read since then!

The vet has put him on Caninsulin, 1.5 units twice a day and this is only day 6 of his treatment. Fortunately he's very good at having his jabs and getting his ear pricked :)

Fortunately we have a very good vet who doesn't mind me regurgitating half the internet at him and is open to lots of different treatment options if Caninsulin doesn't start to do the trick.

I know it's early days but I just desperate to have my happy, purring boy back, he's just hiding away looking so sad at the minute it's really heartbreaking!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you all in the coming weeks and months!

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Jen and Alfie! The early days can be very overwhelming and stressful but I guarantee it does get easier and we will do our best to help make your journey as easy as possible. This is a wonderful community with an amazing amount of knowledge about feline diabetes and most other things feline too.

Your vet sounds like a keeper! It's wonderful to have a vet who will listen, work with you as a partner and is flexible about treatment options.

Kudos to you for home testing. That is the best tool we have in our arsenal to help our kitties get back to better health and keep them safe. And I see you have already done your signature! :D You might want to add "UK" to your signature so folks can make any suggestions pertinent to your location.

When you are ready, please come join us over on the Health forum HERE with any and all questions and we'll do what we can to help you and Alfie feel better very soon! :)

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! Great vet - check! Home testing - check! You've got this and we can help. :)

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Jen and Alfie

Jen and Alfie Member

Thank you both!

I'm feeling like a very bad cat mum for not knowing more about nutrition until now. I've fed all my previous cats on mainly dry food and a small amount of wet food without any issue. In fact I thought it was best for them! But Alfie is particularly lazy which hasn't helped him. I switched him on to a high protein, low carb wet food (which he loves, phew!) a few days before he started his insulin so I'm hoping he'll start to feel better soon.

I've done a few spot checks before an after his insulin and his numbers are still mainly in the mid to high 20's with the lowest readings around 18. I'm doing another full curve on Friday at which point, if the numbers are still the same, the vet says we'll increase his insulin a bit. Home testing is definitely the way forward, how would you know what's going on inside the little furballs otherwise!

It's early days, and I've done my fair share of freaking out over the past week, but I'm sure we'll get there with patience and support!

Thanks again :)

5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Jen and Alfie!
    Great that you are already home testing! If you are interested in sharing his BG numbers with us, we use Google sheets: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Most important tests are AMPS and PMPS (test before shot is due with no food eaten for at least two hours prior). Also, here is our UK food list for diabetic friendly foods :)

We offer complimentary patience pants to everyone :D

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

7. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Welcome Jen and Alfie from another UKer! Glad you found this place, it will be really helpful to you to have somewhere to come for support and advice!

Diana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.