Hello From Tootsie

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by AshleyDiamond, Jan 26, 2019.

1. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

Hi Prozinc Family!

It's been quite awhile since I've checked in here and I kind of feel bad considering all the help you all provided Tootsie and I during such a scary, stressful time. I just wanted to let you all know that Tootsie is still in remission and doing really well. I still keep his chart up to date incase you do want to take a look. His numbers have remained really good and his health overall seems great. He has started throwing up every so often again like he did when he was on his hard food, but I really don't know the cause of it. He doesn't act sick afterwards and his numbers are always good (I make sure to get a reading everytime he throws up) Its strange though because that was his normal all the time before diagnosed, but when we stopped feeding hard food he stopped throwing up for SO long. That made us believe it was all due to that hard food diet. But he has started doing it again randomly, sometimes it's hairballs and others its not. His back leg had also been better for the most part. last night he jumped up on the couch holding it up and cried out. This is the first time that's happened since July. I'm thinking maybe he twisted it up the wrong way or something? He already seems to be a lot better with it today.

Anyways, I just wanted to drop in and say hello and give a little update on my boy. I hope all of your and the furbabies are doing well :bighug:

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley! Good to see you!!! I'm so glad to hear that Tootsie is still in remission and doing well. Has anything changed recently? A different food? Different treats? Any new stress for you or him? (sometimes cats vibe off of us, so if you're under stress, he might be reading that).

If he's going through a big shed right now, the extra hair they ingest can be a factor, and that can be something that might be present for a little while, but then could disappear for months.

And sometimes kitties just get a little stomach bug, just like we can. Hopefully he'll feel better soon.

If it continues, you might try giving some Slippery Elm Bark (SEB). It is soothing to the tummy (and works for people too). The taste can be a little nasty though, so it can take some work to either syringe it into their mouths, or find a way to sneak it into food/treats.

You can read more about different types of SEB here: http://felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#slippery_elm_bark This website is dedicated to cats with kidney disease, but has tons of helpful information about stomach issues and treatments, so you may find something on there to help.

AshleyDiamond likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley! So glad to hear Tootsie is still in remission! Djamila has given great information above. Kitties can have sensitive tummies and get a little under the weather at times. I try not to let it worry me unless it lasts for a few days or they stop eating.

AshleyDiamond likes this.
  4. AshleyDiamond

AshleyDiamond Member

Hi again guys! I am horrible lately with keeping up with my responses. I also didn't notice until sometime that you had responded. There were no recent food changes to Tootsies diet. Since July of last year he has been on Fancy Feast. We are still dealing with puking episodes though. I also just started him on Miralax because pooping for him has also continued to be a bit of a struggle. He is doing a little better with that but he still doesn't go everyday. He gets lactulose as well. I started thinking maybe that was why he was throwing up? Because his pooping isn't so normal. When does it become to much and I should worry? Besides the rare occurrence of last night and this morning (puking last night at 10:30pm and again this morning at 10:00am) he usually throws up at least every 7-9ish days. But his behavior with everything else is normal. He also doesn't throw up right after eating, its 2-3 hours later. And he always has an appetite and will eat again after throwing up. Still plays (the tiny bit that he does) still roams the house, lovey and cuddly. I just don't know?