Hello from Tux!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KatieDarling622, Dec 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatieDarling622

KatieDarling622 New Member

Hello! Wanted to post an introduction here before posting elsewhere. I am in the Facebook group but have never posted on here before.

Tux is a 9 year old male that I rescued when he was a few months old. He's always been a bigger cat but over summer it became apparent that he was not his normal self - drinking a LOT, peeing everywhere, always hungry... He was diagnosed with Diabetes in August with a BG of almost 700 (at the vet). I wasn't surprised, but had very little knowledge of diabetes in cats. We chose the cheaper route of NPH insulin and my vet recommended doing some research and getting accustomed to insulin injections for the first two weeks. We started home testing after that. Much to my surprise Tux (who hates any sort of medical treatment) was fine with the pokes!

So here we are, after Christmas. We've kept on NPH for the last several months with no "good" drops in BG to speak of. He stays around 350 pre-shot, and has yet to have a nadir below 200 (even with up to 5 units of NPH...). And so we are switching to Lantus!

I'm hoping to find some good information on switching from NPH to Lantus on here (my vet has already discussed an initial starting dose of 1U).

While we do have a spreadsheet of data from NPH, it is not in the format that I've seen on here. SO, with this new year and new insulin, I'll be adjusting my spreadsheet to the new one!

Thanks!

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. Quite a few cats have been switched from NPH to Lantus. The Facebook spreadsheet is unreadable for many people. You will need to set up a new one. Looking forward to seeing you in the Feline Health Forum. It's a bit of a quiet day with people recovering and travelling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.