Hello! Happy to have found wealth of resources!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Abbey Erwin, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbey Erwin

Abbey Erwin Member

Hi!

My name is Abbey! I have a cat named Cosmos (pictured in my profile photo) that was diagnosed with diabetes in January. We have been doing alright but have been struggling to find his sweet spot for his Prozinc shots. We are glad he did not have kidney problems or pancreatitis but are still just trying to get him in the right place.

He acts like himself but he is tired more often than not, is very hungry almost always, and has displayed some signs of neuropathy. We have just started giving him some some B12 (methylcobalamin) 5000mg a day last week (starting to give it to him in the PM too. This has helped some. His diet is of mostly wet food but he does get some dry grain free food from time to time also.

We have not been home testing him until starting today. (Although we have had one nightmarish day where we did a glucose check/curve every 2 hours or so - mostly cause we are extremely new at this and so was he). We have checked him twice today with him not happy about it - but it going better than that day did.

I did make a post in the health section about us trying to find his sweet spot with Prozinc and feel that it could be the case that he is getting too much insulin and is doing that "somogyi rebound" thing.... worst part is just trying to get a handle on it - our goal is to regulate it and see what we can do from there.

I appreciate all the time everyone puts into these forums and for the chance to bounce off information and work together to make our families healthier longer! Looking forward to learning more and finding a solution that works!

Take care,
    Abbey

P.S. An interesting/rare factoid, this cat, Cosmos... he is the only being in my entire life that I have ever had a dream about and met the very next day. I can't say that about any human or animal that I've ever known - so there are times when I take this whole diabetes thing less objectively than I should (we all would do that anyway - I just feel like it's extra amplified at times).

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome Abbey and Cosmos. I'm glad to hear you are going to be regularly testing. It's so important to test before shooting and to find that nadir, so you know if the insulin dose is right. Feel free to post in the Main forum and the Prozinc forums. Lots of experienced eyes there to help. There are also yellow tagged info and stickies at the top of forums, containing a wealth of info to help you take care of Cosmos.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

4. Abbey Erwin

Abbey Erwin Member

Thank you both! :) <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.