? Hello,I am new here.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara Jean, Dec 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara Jean

Sara Jean New Member

My name is Sara Jean and my cat is Bartholomew. He is 11 and was diagnosed yesterday with diabetes,and a friend shared your site with me. I was up into the a.m. reading. My vet suggested I do research on my own,and this site is amazing! Made a run to Wal-Mart to pick up the brand of wet food he was already on,but in pate instead of the gravy. I am now seeing cat food with new eyes and looking at dry in horror. Was I really feeding that to my baby!? I still have loads to learn. Bart goes back next Friday for his all day to establish his baseline,insulin level? I don't know what to call it. Thank you for all your help here. The articles image.jpeg are wonderful and very easy to understand!
    I also paint and the portrait is of Bart that I did.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Reason for edit: Additional info.
    Critter Mom and MiCo like this.
  2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome, Sara Jean! Bartholomew is very handsome and I love your portrait of him. :) It sounds like you have an open-minded vet and that's a big plus. You already know we recommend low carb canned food (pate varieties). Let us know whether you'll be home testing his blood glucose (strongly recommended) and what insulin and dose your vet has prescribed. We can certainly help you.

3. Kris & Teasel

BTW - the "GA" icon means "gone ahead" or "guardian angel" for kitties that have passed.

4. Kris & Teasel

I should also have said that any questions you have should be posted on the main health forum where more people will see them.

5. MiCo

MiCo Member

Welcome! This is definitely the place to be. There is so much knowledge/info to be discovered on this site in the articles on the main page and the "stickied" threads. Try not to be overwhelmed! I felt like I was back in school at first, studying this site every day. Reading and re-reading the articles. Watching videos. Taking notes, making lists (they help me!) and asking questions here.

I'm *relatively* new here (how long do I get to say that?) and my advice is to take it slow, go easy on yourself and ask any and all questions you may have. I asked some simple questions this week and got great answers!

All I can say is, at first I didn't think any of this was possible-giving my skittish cat insulin daily and BG testing at home. But people here told me it would become routine and it has. He no longer runs and hides, but seems to understand and looks forward to his shot-he goes to the same rug and lays down after he eats, waiting for his shot in the am and pm.

Ps-I love love love your cat portrait! he is so handsome!!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  6. Sara Jean

Sara Jean New Member

Thank you Kris & Teasel,and MiCo! And for the heads up on what the GA stood for! I definitely don't want to hurry Bart along in that direction! I have started Bart on the pate already and he did not empty his water bowl! He has a five cup water bowl and it is usually empty every morning,so I am very happy about that!

7. Sara Jean

Sara Jean New Member

Oh,and thanks for the compliments on his portrait! Painting keeps me sane,lol!

Bowie S. B. Otch and MiCo like this.
  8. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

If you scroll back up to your first post.... there is a little tab called thread tools.... you can edit your post and remove the GA....

Welcome to FDMB....

9. Sara Jean

Sara Jean New Member

Thank you Rhiannon and Shadow! I am from Georgia,so guess what I thought it stood for!

Critter Mom, Kris & Teasel and MiCo like this.
  10. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

11. Lisa & Nacho

Lisa & Nacho Member

Welcome! I am new here as well :) great community so far!

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Bowie S. B. Otch

Bowie S. B. Otch Member

Hi, I'm new here too. Let's hope our journeys go well, and we can get our kitties healthy.

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

So very handsome! I love "cats with hats" - I have two myself.

Read as many other people's posts as you can, and as Kris said, post specific questions over in the Health forum!

Best,
    Sandi&Whisper.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.