Hello, I don't think I ever posted an intro and I finally have info and a spreadsheet :)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Johann_marcel, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johann_marcel

Johann_marcel Member

Hi there,
    My name is Joann. My cat's name is Chuck Norris. I realized the other day that I don't think I wrote an introduction here yet, and I finally have a signature and an FDMB spreadsheet, and I am not sure how to go about treating Chuck.

Chuck was adopted 2 years ago from the city's all intake shelter. He was there for over 6 months. He was actually renamed at the shelter "Chuck Norris" for his large underbite and ginger goatee. He is currently 14 years old, diagnosed as a sugar boy in September 2019. For the year prior, his sugars were a little high at the vet, but when I would test him at home with an alphatrak (I'm a CVT, but I don't work in companion practice anymore, I work in cancer research), he would be within normal range. So, he evaded a real diagnosis for awhile. He also doesn't come across as nervous, but we've realized what he does is he tends to play possum (just lay there) when he's nervous, waiting for whatever to be over.

Since diagnosis, he's on an all wet low carb diet free feeding small meals throughout the day (some os left out for him while the bf is at work), and gets raw chicken (supplemented with EZ complete) usually on the weekend or for dinner. When he gets the wet food, he gets an appropriate amount of Dr. Goodpets probiotic mixed in. He's on Lantus, originally 1unit twice daily. Now, he's getting 1/2 unit when his AM or PM pre-shot BG's are over 150 (on an alphatrak). Really, he's supposed to be getting 1/2 unit twice daily, but recently his BG's have only been above 150 every other day - and this started when he started having more hairballs.

The hairballs... since feeling better, he plays a lot, is very happy, no pu/pd, has a normal appetite (not ravenous), grooms himself a lot. His coat is so soft and healthy feeling, not thin, but he's getting hairballs. When these hairballs started, his BG right after the hairball would be high. The hairballs mostly occur in the morning around 3am. He is fasted between 2am and 4am because his pre-shot BG's are 4am and 4pm. The hairballs never mess with his appetite, and he seems completely normal afterwards. 1/8 teaspoon is miralax is added to his food, so he has regular daily bms. WE ordered the EZ egg supplement from foodfurlife to add to his wet food to see if it helps with moving the hairballs along. We are still waiting for the delivery of this product.

The other thing is that he currently lives with my bf, who adores him. He gets his BGs just fine and takes care of him like I would. I see him on the weekends right now (we are moving to a house together soon). My bf can only test him so much during the week bc of 10 hr days, 5 days a week with a very physical job. He plays with Chuck plenty, but falls asleep and doesn't always get to get a late night BG (and like I said before, our BGs are from an AT2). Chuck is due for a curve this weekend, but I am not sure where to go from here. I understand the mechanism of Lantus and how its a depot insulin, but just not sure how to handle his numbers. Our current instructions are give 1/2 units when he's over 150 on the AT2. Otherwise, no shot. (I'll post on the Lantus board my questions) Thanks for listening!

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Chuck Norris and BF! It's wonderful that Chuck found such a loving couple to give him a home and the care he needs. And kudos for home testing Chuck. That is the most valuable tool we have to keep our kitties safe and get them on the path to better health.

You've got yourself all set up with a signature and spreadsheet. I notice you are usually only getting pre-shot tests and you explained why. I just want to point out that dosing should be based on mid cycle testing (how low a dose drops BG) rather than pre-shot readings. I know it's impossible to get mid cycle tests when working long hours but those night time tests can be very helpful especially since many cats go lower at night than they do in the daytime. If I were you, I'd encourage BF to get at a very minimum a before bed test to see where Chuck is heading and use the weekends to do some mid cycle testing day and night.

I'm sorry you find yourselves needing to be here but I am also very glad you found this remarkable community. You will get all the support you need or want. Chuck is one lucky kitty to have you and your BF!

Johann_marcel likes this.
  3. Johann_marcel

Johann_marcel Member

Hi,
    Thanks for that suggestion. We're going to get on a better ball with more weekend testing starting this weekend. These past few weekends, we've been house hunting so our timing and energy has not been in sync. We'll work on that and I will suggest a pre-bedtime level at least before bed on weeknights. Weekends we'll do more.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.