Hello I’m a Newbie!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by xefthimiax, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds great, Effie. One thing that I just thought to mention. *IF* by chance he has slid straight into remission (one can dream!), you could see his blood glucose numbers come in at 70 or even below -- do not panic! As long as a cat is not being given insulin, there is no danger because the body just regulates itself and their "normal" BG numbers can actually be fairly low. It is only when we introduce external insulin that we have to worry about those low numbers.

:bighug:

xefthimiax likes this.
  2. xefthimiax

xefthimiax Member

Well he’s at 352. And his tummy sounds super rumbly. I think he’s hungry. Ugh. I don’t want to put him back on this insulin. I want to continue diet change and slowly bring his weight down.

3. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Oh darn. I understand your concern, but I'll just say that:
    - prozinc is a good insulin for cats
    - it sounds like 1 unit was just too high, most here dose in quarter units, and once you get below 0.25 units, people micro-dose even smaller amounts than that, so this doesn't mean you are out of luck with this insulin
    - the longer you wait, the less likely to achieve remission

Before we go further, remind me:
    1) was there any kind on infection found at diagnosis or was it just the increased drinking and peeing? That is, you didn't get a round of antibiotics at diagnosis, right?
    2) confirm that your vet didn't say that Ganon had "ketones" at diagnosis because that would make getting insulin truly critical and non-optional.

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Effie, we need to get you posting in the Main Health forum now, this forum is more of a welcome mat and it's mainly just to say Hello, here I am..what's next? Then more members can add some input and offer support.
    I am glad to hear that you, DH and Ganon had a nice restful day yesterday, you all deserved it.
    Can you also set up that spreadsheet so the testing numbers you have so far can be recorded and available to other members, please? Here is the info again: Instructions Understanding the Spreadsheet

5. xefthimiax

xefthimiax Member

There was no other diagnosis besides the high glucose, triglycerides, and cholesterol. His liver and kidneys are great. His initial GLU was 511 and fructosamine was 541.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Ok thx for the review. I agree with Lou, I'd give an overview in a new post over in the main health forum. You can add a link to this post in it for cross reference.

7. xefthimiax

xefthimiax Member

Yes. Sorry.

8. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You don't have to be sorry, you have had a lot on your mind. This is all new and rather disorienting at first. But there are so many people here willing to help you. :bighug:

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  9. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Just stopping by to say Hi and sends a few of these :bighug::bighug::bighug: to you and Ganon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.