hello im new to this

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Jenny reyes, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Jenny reyes

Jenny reyes Member

my cat was diagnose with diabetes in jan of this she has been on vetsliun since then she akes 2 units twice a day i just hand some questions

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Jenny, you are going to have to list your questions, then you will get input and answers.

Jenny reyes likes this.
  3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jenny. We're here to help in any way we can so let us know what your questions are.

I see from your SS that you are home testing which is great. Getting a test before every shot will tell you if it is safe to give insulin.

I notice that on the 2nd of Oct. Phoebe's pre-shot BG in the morning was only 107. That is too low to be giving insulin. Insulin dose should be based on how low BG is going and for that you need to be checking BG during the cycle. Vetsulin tends to start working very quickly so checking BG randomly between 2 and 6 hours after giving insulin will help you see how low Phoebe's BG is going. That higher pre-shot BG in the evening on the 2nd may be from a phenomenon called bouncing. Bouncing happens when BG drops quickly, drops a lot or drops to levels Phoebe is not accustomed to.
    If you are unable to test mid cycle during the week, then try to get some tests on the weekends or days off. It's also important to get some night time tests and to make it a habit to check BG every night before bed.

I encourage you to read through the material HERE to better understand how the insulin works and how to work with it.

I would suggest you lower the dose to 1.5u until you are able to get some mid cycle tests to keep Phoebe safe as it appears she may be dropping to unsafe levels without your knowledge.

Please let us know how we can help you. :)

4. Jenny reyes

Jenny reyes Member

Those 2 days where she had lower blood sugar I didn’t not feed her at nite this morning was high but since her blood sugar was that low those 2 morning I did not give her her insulin because I was not to sure so better to be safe then sorry my husband is diabetic and was telling me I should her sugar is always around 300 apx every 3 hours when I have been checking I thank u for all ur help that has been at nite when I check her after feeding and insulin I’m about to go to ezcomplete I just ordered she seemed to love it more than Merrick and I know Merrick is to high in phosphorus

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I agree that not feeding Phoebe at night might lower her BG to some degree but I doubt it would drop that much just from missing one meal so giving insulin at a BG of 107 is still dangerous. I'd suggest you don't give insulin unless BG is 200 or higher for now to keep Phoebe safe. Not all cats show outward signs of low BG until things get serious so best to be cautious until you determine how low BG is going.:)

Jenny reyes likes this.