Hello, I'm rather new here

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kara, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara

Kara Member

Hello Community,
    I just wanted to say hello and say a little about myself. I am a graphic designer working to start my own business. I live in Maine with my boyfriend and 7 cats. We had nine but we lost Gwenevere in 07 and recently we lost Scout to cancer 12/10/15. A month before she was diagnosed Scooter, her brother, was diagnosed with diabetes. We're working hard to get him off the insulin. We test at home every day except for a few breaks now and then. We switched to all grain free wet food, home baked chicken & turkey breast & only a little grain/gluten free dry as a treat. Thanks for this awesome page! I really appreciate everyone.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Sarah Smith

Sarah Smith Member

Welcome Kara, sounds like Scooter is lucky to have you in his corner :) So sorry to hear about Scout, I have a cancer kitty as well, so I know the roller coaster ride that diagnosis is. :bighug:

3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Kara,
    This is a great forum with really friendly and helpful people.

Here's hoping that you are able to get Scooter into remission. It does happen for quite a few cats on this forum, but of course, there are no guarantees. ;)
    But cats on insulin can still have good lives. (My diabetic kitty has been on insulin for just over 9 years now).

Do post on the main Health forum if you'd like advice on how to manage Scooter's diabetes more optimally.
    In order to best help you folks will want to know which insulin you're using, and what dose; what specific food you're feeding; which glucose meter you're using (human meter or Alphatrak); how often you're testing, and what results you're getting.

We have a really useful spreadsheet here where you can record Scooter's blood glucose readings. This 'SS' really does help to keep track of a kitty's progress, and will help people to help you if you need advice in a hurry.

Here's the link to the main Health forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Welcome aboard! :bighug:

Eliz

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome Kara

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.