hello im samantha

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by samantha Goo's mommy, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samantha Goo's mommy

samantha Goo's mommy New Member

my baby girl Goo 10yr old calico diagnosed diabetes duh lol that what this sights for. anywho I don't got vet back up I'm on ssi means I only get $750 a month to live on my vet has her on medicated food but its dry I see that's bad uhg I don't know what I'm doing! I need serious help with supplies,advice, everything. I have a family so its also hard to find time to get online but ill make the time please I ...Goo needs help fasts I hardly have time to read an all to and if there are vets out there especialy so I got back up for sure would be amazing but I don't really care as long as I get the right info and get her better I'm a begging mama. bad pick but amazing kitty. by the way Goo is not on insulin the vet said I could buy some crap insulin for$60 but I cant even afford that,not to mention the vet said shed guess on how much to give her and that's all shed do and that could kill her

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Reason for edit: lil more info
  2. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

HI Samantha and Welcome. First advice I can give you is to ditch the dry food. Your baby needs can food. As for help with Supplies there are some sites that can offer help. One will give you at least the first bottle of insulin to you. What kind of insulin is your baby on? Also Kris and them will be along shortly to help you on getting a Spreadsheet set up so that everyone else can help you. There is also a board here where people are offering insulin and other diabetic supplies for free or a much reduced cost.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Samantha! We can help you cut costs. You don’t need the expensive vet food and you can learn how to test your cats glucose at home to save on those expensive vet curves and help keep your kitty safe. Here are some links to financial help sites. Do check them out, especially DCIN as they have helped several caregivers with their kitties.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/financial-help-links.131190/

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Return the dry food you bought for a refund. Most of us buy fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods.

Adwdiabetes.com is a good, less expensive place than the vet place for syringes and lancets.

You don't say what insulin she's on but if it's lantus ordering from Canada is much cheaper

Chrissy66 likes this.
  5. samantha Goo's mommy

ty but the main problems I'm starting with is my vet isn't exactly playing ball they keep saying the dry food ive read everywhere to do the wet tho like u said but I don't no if its safe to change it right now cuz I don't hAve anyway to check her leavels and shes not even on insulin the vet said I could buy some for $60 some(the kind I hear is the worst to give something with a v) and we could guess but otherwise she basically wont do a damn thing since I don't have the money. I cant even afford to get that crap kind of insulin

6. samantha Goo's mommy

do you know is it safe to switch her food when I have no way to check her levels? and the fact that shes not even on insulin yet? the vet isn't exactly playing ball with me. she wont do anything but guess who much insulin to give and sell to me at $60 a vile and its the stuff I read was least favorable and I cant even afford that. I'm so lost I think with you guys if I can get a meter and insulin everyone can help teach me how to take care of her. do you think that's possible? otherwise ty for the link I'm already asking DCIN for help but so far they haven't gotten back to me on my application.

7. samantha Goo's mommy

ty to start. well I'm see everywhere that about the wet food but is it ok to change her food when I have no way to check her levels? and shes not even on insulin cuz the vet is well I don't want to swear here but she isn't playing ball she said she has diabetes and that's it,eventually said I could buy $60 vile from her of the kind..starts with a v, I hear that one is the worst for cats, but I cant even afford that not to mention she said shed guess how much and that could kill her. I'm so lost and scared to make a move without someone to say what I need to do cuz I'm not educated enough on this

8. JanetNJ

It's absolutely safe to change foods before insulin. A cat not on insulin can not go too low (hypo). Now would be SAFER to change then after insulin has started. The diabetic food is about 14-16% carb... you want to get the carb count UNDER 10%... under 7% is even better which is why we suggest Fancy Feast classic or Friskies Pate. Here is a link to our food chart: https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Vetsulin is what my cat uses. While it's true that some cats do better on a longer acting insulin, some cats do wonderful on it. My cat went into remission after four months on Vetsulin, and was in remission for a year. She does perfectly fine on it! ALL diabetic cats are better on SOME kind of insulin rather then none. Staying in high BG numbers for sustained periods of time can cause damage to organs... you want to get those numbers down. For financial help you could also try contacting DCIN (Diabetic Cats in Need) and see if they help.

Sharon14 likes this.
  9. JanetNJ

@Chris & China

10. Chrissy66

Chrissy66 Member

Samantha if your cat is a Diabetic I would think your vet would go ahead and get him on insulin. As for getting help with your baby's insulin, Janet provided some great links. Also something that helped me get started was friends of mine. A Friend of mine told me to set up a GoFundMe Account and that is what I did. With the help of a few people, I was able to get Candi's first vial of insulin and her syringes. That or you could set up a paypal account and ask for help from Family and Friends every $ they could help you with can help you toward getting Sargent's insulin.
    Swapping to Canned food is #1 priority. Actually that was the first thing my vet told me, "Nothing but Canned Food." Also I had to feed Candi 2 times a day. Morning and evenings. She has slowly gotten used to it and yes, at first it was hard to get her used to just canned food because she loved her dry food.

Forgot to mention if your vet wants to put him on Vetsulin check the web because it isn't all that expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.