Hello! Intoduction

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Binx's Mom, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Binx's Mom

Binx's Mom New Member

Hi! My name is Shannon. My cat, Binx, was diagnosed on Friday the 1st. He was started on 1U of Vetsulin twice a day. We are currently switching his food over to the Glycobalance from Royal Canin. If you guys have any advice for me I am open to any and all!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Shannon and Binx. You are in the right place to learn about feline diabetes and treatment. It would be very helpful if you would create a signature (light grey text under a post) that displays Binx's information with each of your posts. The information can be edited/updated as you go along.
    Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters)
    There are 3 basic components of effective diabetic treatment: proper diet, insulin therapy and blood sugar testing, just like human diabetics do.
    We recommend a low carb wet diet for our sugar cats, and depending on where you are in the world, we can make some recommendations for canned food, or if you are interested in a home prepared diet we can help there also.
    Home testing is the best tool you have to keep Binx safe, test before every shot to be sure it's safe to inject, and at other times during the cycles to see how the insulin is affecting the blood sugar level. Testing lets you know if the BG is falling too fast so you can take action and prevent a hypo.
    We will do our best to help you learn about testing & the supplies you will need, the insulin you are using and a good low carb diet for Binx.
    Check out the Getting Started and Education sections on the right side of the Home page, also the FAQs forum HERE is a great resource for new members.

3. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Welcome you are in a great place for help and support. Another thing that is super helpful is adding a spreadsheet to your signature. I've copied and pasted the instructions from a previous welcome post from Idjit's mom :)

Another thing that will help us help you when you've started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. We can all see it and look at it before offering advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/