Hello ... Just found out my cat has diabetes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by littleleah, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littleleah

littleleah New Member

Hello :) My name is Leah and I have a 10 year old cat named Tarot. 48 hours ago, I found out that he is diabetic. He is still at the vet getting stabalized and should be home either today or tomorrow if things continue to go well. I must say the last couple of days were so stressful, but after visiting him yesterday, seeing how well he is doing, I am looking forward to him being home. It's really nice to know that this site exists as at this point I am very uneducated. Before Tarot comes home, I will be getting a consultation with our vet as to how the rest of his life is going to go. But I am sure there are going to be lots of unanswered questions that I will be turning to everyone here for.
    His hospital stay right now is just short of $1000 and I know they will be wanting him back soon for the glucose curves, which will be around $175 a visit. Does anyone have any advise about these follow up trips? I don't have a lot of money, but I want to keep my best friend alive and healthy. I did read the beginner pages on the site, but any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Hi Leah,

The rest of Tarot's life is going to be just as good as it has been :)

I do have advice on how to save money on those follow trips. Do it yourself at home.

Most of us here hometest our cats. Using a human glucometer, getting a small drop of blood from the ear which is virtually painless to get and charting the numbers ourself.

Please find out what type of insulin your vet is going to send you home with. Lantus, for a new diagnosed kitty is a really good choice. Your vet may also suggest ProZinc which is fine, but please do not take Humulin if that is suggested. Also, Vetsulin is on a recall so that should be avoided, but I doubt that would be given.

Food is important too. What does Tarot eat now?

A diet low in carbs, high in protein is going to help get your little man regulated faster, maybe even off insulin. In some cases a cat can be diet controlled.

Others will be around to give you advice, I just wanted to stop by and say hi and let you know that things will be great for Tarot, his quality of life, whether on insulin or off, will not deminish.

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Welcome Leah and Tarot (love the kitty's name btw)

You are now in the very place in the world to help your baby live a long and healthy life. Ask a ton of questions, and remember the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. Not much advice here but wanted to drop in and say hello.

Mel & Muse (GA)

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

welcome! Im sure you can't wait to get your furbaby back which I'm sure will be soon ... you are going to find a TON of helpful information here. Ask a lot of questions (none of them are dumb!) and educate yourself as much as you can!!

5. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Leah and Tarot,

You've come to the right place for support and sage advise. I'm a newbie too so I'll defer on the advise giving just yet. Just wanted to welcome you both. Its alot of new information to digest at first. So allow yourself sometime to "chew and swallow". Deep breaths are good too.... especially right now for ya. And ask as many questions as you would like. The folks here are amazing and so supportive.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

leah you need never go in for a curve again. we test and curve our cats ourselves. we ALL do it and the results are mor accurate in the relaxed setting of your own home than the stress of the vets. also the vet will likely reccomend his prescription dry or wet food. again expensive and not only unnecessary but not the best!
    if you'd like help with learning to test i am the newbie kit person. i will send you a free newbie kit and all you need to due is press the newbie kits on this post down below. then we will teach you to use it. please inform me on this thread if you are ordering one ok.
    things will get much much cheaper from here on.

7. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

And if your bet prescribes Lantus or Levemir....be sure he writes the prescription
    for the cartridges or pens, NOT a 10ml vial.

Both of those insulins have a short shelf life after opening (1-2 months if kept refrigerated).

If you get the 10ml vial, you will throw away a great deal of it, as it will go bad before
    you can use it all up.

Better to get the cartridges, which come in pack of 5 3ml cartridges. You open one at a time,
    and will be able to use most of it before it goes bad. This is a $$$ savings over the long run.

With the cartridges, you still use regular insulin syringes and draw the insulin through the little
    rubber stopper. See the Insulin Support Group here on FDMB for Lantus and/or Levimer for more
    details about those two insulins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.