Hello, Looking for advise for a recent diagnosis.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by skastner95, Nov 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skastner95

skastner95 New Member

Hello,
    Today I was given the news that my old man, Jack, has diabetes. His glucose came back at 227mg/dL (the reference range is 64-170) and the vet said that it appears we have caught it early. I am currently not financially able to move forward with the curve test and overnight stay for my boy. I am not afraid of the testing and insulin injections and I am willing to put in the time and commitment he needs but, I don't know where to start. Is it possible to manage his diagnosis for a month or a bit longer by changing his diet until I can pay for his initial test? He currently eats Nutro dry food but I am already looking into switching to fancy feast wet food so he gets more protein and fewer carbs in his diet. Id there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance for all your help and support

Me and my old man Jack.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome! 227 is not a bad starting point at all. I think trying a diet change first is the way to go. I would also suggest that you get a human glucose meter and strips and begin testing him at home. Then, you will know if the diet change alone is enough, and if it is not, you will be able to do your own testing to provide to the vet rather than having to take your cat in for a curve.

You've come to the right place for help and support. Please ask any future questions on the main health forum since this is really just a welcome area. Thanks.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Just a FYI, I had a non diabetic cat test in the 220’s at the vet due to stress, and 53 at home the next day. Head on over to the Feline Health forum where we can help you with blood sugar testing and diet. By testing at home, you can skip the vet tests or overnight stay. And probably get more realistic numbers.

FurBabiesMama likes this.
  4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Did your vet do a urinalysis? Was there glucose in it? What about a fructosamine test? If diabetes was diagnosed just from a single blood glucose test that was only 227, your cat may not be diabetic at all.

5. skastner95

skastner95 New Member

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice and support. The vet did do a urine analysis as well and there were high traces of sugar in his urine. There was no fructosamine test done. I will start by changing his diet and try testing at home before his follow up appointment and see if that changes anything. Thank you all again.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Glucose can sometimes be spilled into the urine even if the cat is not diabetic. An elevated fructosamine test showing BG had been elevated over the past 2 to 3 weeks period prior to the vet visit would be needed to confirm a diagnosis of diabetes. Let us know if we can help you with testing or any other questions over on the Health forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.