Hello mid diagnosis possible FD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TempestsMum, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here so I would like to introduce myself.
    I'm Tempest's Mummy, and we both live in Ireland.
    I've been her mum for just over 15 years now and she's never been sick or sorry in her life. She was rescued by a local shelter and was a teeny tiny fluffy ball of hissing spitting spite, but I fell in love and home she came. On a stormy rainy night with thunder and lightning (hence her name)
    I've had a few cats over the years and her companion and my beloved had to be put to sleep earlier this year (January) at the grand old age of 27.
    I've fed my cats on dried food (now realise it's a mistake) for the last several years thinking it was better for them and their teeth.
    But after my old cat was euthanised I have been introducing more wet food into Tempests diet.
    She's fed free choice so always has a bowl of dry available.
    I had noticed over the last few weeks that her litter tray was very wet, and put it down to her getting more wet food now but monitored it. I changed litter type and still found it very soggy.
    I always routinely (yearly) have my vet do bloods so booked her in and got a phone call this afternoon to say that she had high glucose levels and that they suspected fd.
    I've to leave a sample in on Monday for further checks.
    But I'd like to know more about fd as forewarned is forearmed as they say and I don't like to hang about with my pets health - And that's how I ended up here.

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hello. Sorry you had to find us but you will be glad you did.

Question-what kind of sample are you dropping off? You might want to read some of the sticky posts here and really think about home testing. It will keep Tempest safe especially if transitioning food.

Your others were 27 yrs, you are doing something right.

Ask questions, don't be shy.

3. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hello Woodyswife,
    Thank you for your response.
    My vet wants a urine sample to confirm that her glucose levels weren't just high due to stress.
    But because of her other symptoms such as increased urination and drinking more than normal there's a good chance it's fd. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Re her food, I had reduced the wet food because I thought that was the cause of the excess urination as it contains more moisture so she is used to getting more - I'm now giving her more of that and less dry but she tends to pick at the dry if there's wet food about so eats less biscuits.
    I am trying to find a better wet food for her though -one reason I didn't like wet food was the high sugar content and lack of real meat in it I'm currently looking at Lily's kitchen and Mac's from the happy kitty company as well as natures choice.

My oldest cat was 27 his female companion was 24 but came to me with leukaemia, and a weakened immune system due to repeated flu bouts (Tempest came after she died) and I had another cat who reached 24 as well. I think I've been exceptionally lucky :)

4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Had me worried that urine samples were how they were testing her. Vet visits can cause increases in blood sugar (and substantial ones at that). Why it's best to home test and saves you money. We have a spreadsheet here we use to record readings. A lot of us send them to our vets (those that are on board with owner involvement). I can't help with food as I'm in the US. As this forum is worldwide, I'm sure there are some who can help you.

Yes you have been exceptionally lucky with your kitties. Your doing something right. When you find out more come back and we can help you figure things out.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to Tempest and her mum! Wow, 27 and two at 24 - I'd say that's more than just luck, you are definitely doing something right! Let us know what your vet says, and in the meantime, read all you can and ask any questions you have.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. As the Mom of an 18 year old, the longevity of your cats gives me hope.:D You are obviously doing something right and I'd love to know the secret recipe. Tempest is a beautiful name and she is a gorgeous little girl! I love kitty names that have a story behind them!

As others have suggested, testing at home will give you the most accurate indication of Tempest's BG and save a lot of money.

If and when you get the final diagnosis, join us over on the Health Board HERE with any questions or assistance you might need. While no one wants to come here, it's a great community with an unbelievable amount of knowledge for all things feline, and everyone is happy to share all that they've learned.

7. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thank you all for your lovely welcoming messages and advice! :)
    Woodyswife, Sharon14 and MrWorfMen'sMum I will definitely but even if Tempest turns out to be ok (fingers crossed) I feel that this has given me the incentive to learn more about this illness for any future kitties I might end up having. It seems much more common than I originally thought.

I think my secret recipe is mostly luck, love and being very alert and aware if anything seems off - taking action sooner and educating myself on as much as I can. I have a sort of sixth sense when it comes to my pets and even tiny inconsequential things make me stop and observe. I don't panic but I will watch some things for a day or a week unless I feel it's more urgent and then it's straight to the vets.
    I also swear by annual or six monthly blood tests or blood smears when my cats hit their teens.

Thank you again :)

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Welcome Tempest's Mum :) I like the way you write and tell the story. And how lucky you are to have kitties that live so long. You sound like a great :cat: mom.
    Please keep us updated with the results of the test tomorrow. Good luck with finding a better high protein lower carb wet food and the transitioning.

What is your name?

9. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thank you Dyana :)

So just had fd confirmed - vet is literally off the phone. I'm glad to finally know, the not knowing is much worse..
    Have to go tomorrow and have a fructose test done on her and he wants to discuss everything with me. He's suggested a special diet and low dose of insulin to start with and that's about as much as I know at the minute. He thinks I've caught it reasonably early. I'm feeling practical right now and glad I'm off work this week.

Time for a wee cup of tea and digest the news. Although I'm not too shocked as the symptoms are all there.

10. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the diagnosis, but as you say, at least you know and can make a plan. Most of us do not use the vet prescribed diabetes diets from Hills and others as they are actually high in carbs(the exception being wet Purina DM) . Instead we use grocery store brand, low carb, wet foods. Not sure what's available where you are, perhaps @Elizabeth and Bertie or @Alexi would know? We also advocate home testing Tempests glucose levels. It's easy to do and we'll be glad to help you with it. Now that you have the diagnosis, come over to the Health Forum and ask any questions you have.

11. Alexi

Alexi Member

This is the link to Elizabeth's UK food list - most of which should also be available in Ireland https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J5JpMe6TDXrHq_aTl9hUtHy6Gs9oRBqlz4nPGKxtySA/pubhtml Some are mail order only and expensive but I would start with a grocery store brand, Felix is at the higher end of the low carbs spectrum (and the as good as it looks is not on there) but some of the whiskas brand and sheba are lower in carbs, try a pate or jelly preparation to start with as I recall the as good as it looks has a jelly version if Tempest is used to that. The gravy foods are higher in carbs and you want to avoid them, although a couple of tins in case of hypos might be useful to have in the cupboard. Purina DM is good - but pricey and I am using it because of other health issues - I started with felix chunks in jelly which is on the list.

12. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thank you Sharon14 I was expecting them to give me the expensive stuff which I don't mind paying for but I'm not a fan of vet diets - I feel they are full of junk.. I've started a post on the health forum now. :)

That's brilliant Alexi thank you so much! I've saved the link and will go tomorrow and pick up some of the recommended ones I do have some foil Sheba and pouches of Sheba which she likes and gets so that's great. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.