Hello, mother of big tabby sugar boy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lucky'sMom, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucky'sMom

Lucky'sMom New Member

Hello everyone. I am shaking, and watching my big boy suffer. He was just diagnosed two weeks ago and I have been struggling to get him the hospitalization my vet said he needs. I did switch him to wet food and at least he eats now but I am just so overwhelmed at not being able to help him fast enough. I am sure a lot of you have been there. This was one tale of an introduction!

My guy's name is Lucky. He is 12 years young and 16 well now 13 lbs. He is a gentle giant who doesn't say much but sure is there when it is time to cuddle.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this wonderful blog, I have A LOT of reading to do! :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. LaraB

LaraB Member

Welcome to the board...a lot of great information here. I have a soft spot for the big guys. :cat: Have a few I'm owned by, too.

Lucky'sMom likes this.
  3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be!!

When you've got some questions and are ready to dive into the world of feline diabetes, come on over to the Main Health Forum and tell us all about your "extra sweet" kitty.

I've always been a sucker for a ginger orange cat....something about them is just so special!

Lucky'sMom likes this.
  4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Why did your vet say he needs to be hospitalized? Did he test positive for ketones or do they want to hospitalize him just to start the insulin? If it's the latter reason, it is far cheaper, safer, and easier to get a cat regulated at home using a home glucose meter to test than having the cat hospitalized. Please come over to the health forum if you'd like any advice on getting him started on treatment!

Lucky'sMom likes this.
  5. Lucky'sMom

Lucky'sMom New Member

Hello everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome! There is comfort in numbers :) I have got to put Lucky's pic up in my profile..

His vet wanted to hospitalize him to get the insulin started. I am going to moszy on over to the health forum, my husband is already talking the "Lucky has had a good life speech" and I am not giving up on the Luckster (he has many names :) )

Sharon14 likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The best kitties always do! :)

We can help you learn to home test Lucky's blood glucose levels. If you can home test you should be able to negotiate with your vet a way to start insulin treatment at home. Lucky will look and feel a great deal better when his treatment starts. :) The transformation can be nothing short of amazing. (@Chris & China - any chance you could post your before and after pics of China?)

Mogs

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

China's "before" and "after" pictures are on her Profile, but I love to share them anytime to bring hope to new caretakers as to how far back these kitties can come!

China before diagnosis.jpg China at diagnosis, less than 8lbs (click picture to expand)
    China after 4 months insulin therapy_zpsf9fd87af.jpg China after about 4 months Lantus insulin, about 12.5lbs (click picture to expand)

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

@Chris & China - Thank you! :) (Have made a note that they're in China's profile for future reference.)

9. Lucky'sMom

Lucky'sMom New Member

OH MY GOODNESS! China looks awesome! Lucky looks so sick and I am worried. I am taking him to a different vet tomorrow to see if they can do anything for him, and I will beg to start him on the insulin. He is not eating right now just snuggling. I am posting his pic in my profile right now, and will take a before tomorrow after the vet. Thank you all for the love and support! :)

10. Critter Mom

Ask them to check his blood glucose levels AND - very importantly - his ketone levels (try to collect a urine sample to take with you). Also ask them to demonstrate the basics of getting a blood sample from Lucky's ear for home glucose monitoring.

Have you got a blood glucose meter and test strips yet? Also urine test strips for ketones?

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.