Hello! My 12 yr old diabetic cat B is in remission!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Abbey Ley, May 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbey Ley

Abbey Ley New Member

Hello forum!
    I only found this site recently in searching online. I wish I knew about it years ago! Nevertheless, I'd love to introduce myself and tell my cat's story. My name is Abbey and my cat B was diagnosed with feline diabetes 3 years ago. His normal weight is about 12 lbs and he was down to 7lbs and very sick. It was so incredibly scary and I thought he was dying. I was actually relieved when I found out he was diabetic, something I could help manage. He was getting 4 units of insulin per day, and after a year was adjusted to 3 units per day. I have had him on a strict diet of Hills Feline m/d glucose management wet food, 2 cans per day while he was regaining weight, then in time adjusted to 1-1.5 cans per day. I fed him and gave him insulin in the mornings before work and approximately 12 hours later in the evenings. He gained weight back over the next several months. He was also walking on the hooks of his back legs when very sick, but he now walks normally again!

I have steered clear of cat treats as most contain grains or ingredients I feel probably are not good for him. I have given him dried fish flakes as treats, and catnip, which he usually rolls around in as opposed to eating. He likes his cat grass too.

I have also let him lick the inside of avocado skins whenever I am eating avocado. Fresh avocado only, never guacamole or anything with other ingredients. HE LOVES avocado! His vet said this is ok in small amounts. Here's some info on that if anyone is curious: http://www.avocadofactsfordogsandcats.com/cats.html

Flash forward 3 years and he is now in diabetic remission. We had blood work done last month for his annual check-up. No diabetic incidents at all in the last year, thank goodness! His vet said we could do a trial period without insulin and then test his urine for glucose and ketones. The 2 weeks with no insulin went well, he drank a bit more water than usual but not excessive like he did in the early days of his diagnosis. His urine tests came out normal. Its been now about 2 months without insulin and he's doing so great!!!! I am so relieved.
    I am keeping some insulin I still had left and syringes just in case it may be needed. If it's not needed after a few more months I am going to donate these to someone who needs them, well before the insulin expires. I know these supplies can get expensive!

I just wanted to share this because I hope this can happen for some of your diabetic kitties. I also wonder if the avocado helped! I'm doing some more research on this and want to talk to his vet and see what they think.

Wishing you all and your kitties good health! <3

MizzKitty likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Just so you know, GA stands for gone ahead... Meaning the cat had passed away... You might want to take that off your post.

Abbey Ley and Chrissy66 like this.
  3. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Hi Abbie. Welcome to the forum.

Can you please modify the subject line of this thread - and remove the "GA"? As Janet said, that indicates your cat is deceased.

Glad to hear your cat is in remission. That happens to many kittehs. Sometimes all it takes is a diet change from dry high carb food to wet low carb food.

Abbey Ley likes this.
  4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Abbey Ley likes this.
  5. Abbey Ley

Abbey Ley New Member

Oh, goodness.. thank you for letting me know, Janet! Much appreciated.

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. Abbey Ley

Abbey Ley New Member

Thank you, Jeff! :)

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.