Hello new cat but have been here before...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tiggertoo2174, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiggertoo2174

tiggertoo2174 New Member

I’m Paula and my cat this time is Buck. I expect him to get his formal diagnosis tomorrow at the vet with his bloodwork. They looked at a urine specimine today and found lots of glucose. I had tried testing but I’ve been out of the game so long all my strips are expired and am sure I got bad results. I have ordered new strips which will be here Friday, need them on hand for myself if nothing else. The vet mentioned oral medication on the phone so I’m not sure what she’s thinking. I’m not aware of any orals that work much for cats. I’d just as soon put him on Lantus straight off to get the best chance of remission. Giving injections doesn’t bother me and while he’s not overly cooperative with testing I’m sure we will get the hang of it. Of course every time I’ve tried it so far he’s peed on me, but that is what plastic and washing machines are for, lol. I previously danced with my Flash for about six years before I lost him, and then I had a diabetic foster named Nanner for a few months before he went to his forever home.

Paula

2. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome back.

I would go straight to lantus, I haven't heard anyone having luck with oral pills.

BTW I'm Paula also.

3. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome back Paula - even if we don't like the reason... :)

Please don't go the pill route - all those do is make an already failing pancreas be forced to work causing even more damage and usually ruining any chance of remission. I don't know why vets try that - if they just took time to research just a bit they'd learn it's a horrible approach to handling feline diabetes.

Hugs!

4. leapinglena

leapinglena New Member

Hi Paula, I have just signed in and cannot seem to navigate this site at all except to reply ..my cat was diagnosed yesterday and I am in a panic, vet said to take off dry totally but my cat won't eat wet. I bought frozen today and am trying to read posts to see wht people did to transition their pets without success, how do I get into posting an introduction or even a question??

5. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi @leapinglena - you can post questions (and introduce yourself at the same time if you wish) on the main forum called 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)'.
    If you look to the top right hand corner of that page you'll see a little tab 'Post New Thread'. If you click on that tab a window will open up and you can write your message in there. When you're done click on the 'Create Thread' tab at the bottom of that window to post your message and start the new thread.
    Here's the link to the Feline Health forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Eliz

6. tiggertoo2174

tiggertoo2174 New Member

Just got back from the vet, Buck ISN’T diabetic! We don’t know what caused the weight loss for sure just yet but we do know that.

BBelshan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.