Hello, new here. Recently diagnosed and intestinal thickening

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by UKGinger, Sep 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UKGinger

UKGinger Member

Hi, I recently acquired a lovely boy from a neighbour. He has been around for a few years and was friendly with one of my cats. He is not stabilised yet and I am really struggling as I keep being told different things. The neighbour gave him to me when his insurance ran out otherwise he would have been PTS. He was diagnosed about 3/4 weeks ago but had been getting steroids before that.

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome! :bighug:
    I'm in the UK too. Waving to you from Surrey!

Well done, you, tor taking this boy on. That is incredibly kind of you, and it sounds like you've saved his life...
    Feline diabetes can seem a bit overwhelming at first, there's a lot to take in. But please know that it is treatable, and with good care and just a little luck a diabetic cat can live as long, as happily, and as healthily as a non-diabetic. (My first diabetic lived for 12 and a half years with diabetes, and lived to be 20).

Since your kitty has been on steroids prior to the diabetes diagnosis it's highly possible that the steroids have tipped him over into diabetes. If that's the case, and if he's now off the steroids, he has a much higher than average chance of going into remission from his diabetes and becoming diet-controlled, either temporarily or permanently.

This section of the forum is just for welcoming and for saying 'hello', so are you able to post more about your boy on the main health forum? For example, was he on steroids for IBS or something like that? And we can chat more about diet, and other stuff... ...So do post on the main forum with more info.
    Meanwhile, if you're up for a little reading you may want to take a look at the second link in my 'signature' at the bottom of this post. That has a lot of general info for UK newcomers.

Here's the link to the main forum:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Warm wishes,

Eliz

3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from another UKer! As Elizabeth says, do tell us more about your kitty - we want to help! - and ask loads of questions, that's what we're here for :)

4. UKGinger

UKGinger Member

Thank you. I am still reading...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.