Hello! New member, 14 yr old newly diagnosed.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary & Coco, Jun 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary & Coco

Mary & Coco New Member

Hi everybody! My name is Mary and my little one's name is Coco. Coco is 14 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes almost two weeks ago.
    Diabetes is scary at first, isn't it? When the vet told me, I was shocked. I guess I was just one of those "nothing will ever happen to my baby" owners. Can anyone relate? The initial shock is gone now, but some days it hits me that my cat has to go through so many changes in routine and that's what makes me sad. Every single day I pray I'm doing everything right or at least half right; feedings, amount of food, injection times, etc.
    So I guess what I'm looking for most right now is support from other fellow feline diabetes caretakers. I am so glad I found this site. Looking through it has made me realize I am not alone in this. We are in this together!
    :)

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! It is overwhelming and sad in the beginning, but it gets better. It will all be pretty routine before you know it.

Mary & Coco likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Mary and Coco. Yes, it is shocking to get that diabetes diagnosis..for a cat??!! We see it so much more often with our human companions, and it really doesn't translate to our cat.
    It may seem scary still, but diabetes is thankfully one of the more treatable and manageable diseases. We will help you get the right information, and you will definitely have the support of a very wide community.
    To begin, please create your signature so that we have Coco's information when you post:

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

That way we know right away what the diet is, what kind of insulin etc.

Are you testing Coco's blood sugar? It's one of the 3 basic components of effective diabetic treatment, even for cats. That way you see just how the insulin is working, you test before every shot to be sure it's safe to do so and this helps to avoid hypoglycemic events. If you are not, we can provide information on supplies, costs, and the process.

There is great information for beginners in the Getting Started and the Education sections on the Home page. As soon as we know what kind of insulin she is getting, we can direct you to the appropriate information just for that insulin.

Deep steadying breath, Mary. You can let go of some of the fear that you aren't doing it all perfectly, and that "very alone" feeling. There are hundreds (thousands?) of members all along this path at different stages of acquiring the knowledge, skill and experience. We help each other.

Take a look around the board, at the different forums. Going forward please post in the Main Health forum. This Introduction forum is just the welcome mat, and more members monitor the Health forum to help, and provide answers and support in a timely manner.

Mary & Coco likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome

Mary & Coco likes this.
  5. Harukyo

Harukyo Member

Omg @Mary & Coco you are totally not alone in those feelings. My cat Kyo was diagnosed at 7 years old on 4/5/19 and I full on ugly cried in the parking lot because I was so devastated. After I had my moment, I collected myself and went full research mode. Found this forum through a website called Diabetic Cats in Need http://www.dcin.dreamhosters.com/ that offers financial assistance (I would definitely look into it if its a good fit for you!) and have been here every day ever since. There is so much awesome information on this website, it just takes a little time to go through all of it. Rest assured that you are in the right place and this amazing community will go above and beyond to support you and your sugarcat! Welcome to FDMB!

Mary & Coco likes this.
  6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. We all understand how you are feeling. But I can assure you that it does get easier. Once you understand more about FD and find a routine that works best for you, you will look back and wonder why it was so scary.

There is a lot of information on this site and you probably have lots of questions. Post them on the Health board. That one is frequently viewed by our members. Don't be afraid to ask anything. There are a lot of very experienced members on this board and we will help you through this journey.

Mary & Coco likes this.
  7. Mary & Coco

Mary & Coco New Member

Thank you everyone so much for being so kind and welcoming!! I’m sorry I’m replying so late, I don’t use the computer much at all. Since I’ve posted this, you were all right; it has gotten easier and much less scary!! I’m so grateful to have found this site!! :)

Keryn_&_Rosie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.