Hello. New member/newly diagnosed cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Smokey & Kim, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Kim

I know this seems hard right now but once you get the hang of Lantus its a great insulin and very easy to use. You will be an expert in no time. And only two shots a day and with this insulin he could go into remission.

Terri

2. Smokey & Kim

Smokey & Kim Member

That's my hope Terri.

Now, I am going to test his BG in about 45 min. That will be +3. Should I have a better idea of how low it might go by then?

3. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Kim

Lets start a new thead so its easier for people to find, just put like Gave Smokie Lantus 2.5 units

Terri

4. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Maybe post it in the Lantus forum instead so there are more eyes on it. For the body, write something like this:

PMPS 497
    +1.5 581
    +2.5 ....

5. Smokey & Kim

Smokey & Kim Member

Ok.. Heading there now..

6. Smokey & Kim

Smokey & Kim Member

7. Hi,
    Looks like people have things under control for the moment? BJ sent PMs to some of us and asked us to drop by.

Just a couple notes. Some folks have already mentioned this, and you verified it, that NPH is a U100 insulin. I think but not positive, that pretty much all of the "human insulins" are U100 strength. Prozinc/PZI comes in U40 concentration but they are specifically designed for use in cats, not humans.

From "watching" many other cats go from one type of insulin to Lantus, the usually rule of thumb is about 70% of what they were on with the old insulin is suggested as the starting dose for Lantus.

That said, given that you don't have a lot of data collected yet with the N type, I'm guessing that "conservative" would be the way to go. 70% would be 1.75u, but others have already suggested 1.5u or 1.0u. Probably better to start low at first and get some data to find out where to go from that point forward.

Right now, the numbers look fine, but it is early in the cycle. Another point would be that due to the way Lantus works, especially at first, it's not too often that you would see a kitty on his first dose of Lantus drop like a rock like they would on a short lasting, quick acting insulin like N.

8. Smokey & Kim

Smokey & Kim Member

Carl, Just for my piece of mind, do you think he will be okay tonight. I am going to keep testing of course. But if it gets to be 2am and the numbers aren't dangerous, would it be ok for momma to get a few hours of sleep? I've lost alot of sleep and tears over the last week and a half. If his numbers go low when I test at 130 or 2, I wouldn't be able to sleep. Just saying if things look ok. I gave him his shot at 6

9. Kim,
    I didn't mean to distract you from the other thread in Lantus, and didn't realize you'd "moved it" there until after I posted this.

Yes, I think he's going to be fine tonight. I didn't read everything on all 3 pages on this thread, but the sense I got was that there was concern about the type of syringe, which you put to rest by saying that the N was also using the U100 syringes.
    The other concern was that the dose might have been too high as it was the same dose he'd been getting on N. I don't think it was TOO high. Higher than you may have been advised to shoot perhaps. I'm thinking the suggested dose would have been 1.5u or 1.75u. At this point, I don't see "crisis", but just that you should keep an eye on his numbers for the first 5-6 hours of the cycle. That sounds like what you were planning to do? 2am would put you at +8 hours from the 6PM shot, right?

But rather than have you jumping from forum to forum, let's stick with the new one you put on the TR Lantus forum for now. The people there know lots more than I do, and they've "done this" lots of times. You'll get terrific advice and help with this over there tonight. I'll be watching there too. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.