Hello-newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rebecca Z., Sep 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca Z.

Rebecca Z. New Member

Hi,
    My name is Rebecca and I live in Nevada. My 11 year old cat, Tiger was diagnosed today with Diabetes. The crazy thing is both my Dad and I have also been diagnosed with Diabetes this year. However, we are on oral medication.

I want to make sure I do everything I can to give him the best life, but I am also not made of money(I'm a Special Education teacher). My vet is starting him on 1unit 2x/day of Prozinc and he goes in next week for an all day glucose curve test. They said this will need to be repeated every 2-3 weeks for a while, then we go to 6 month visits. They wanted to start him on the w/d diet, but I've had past experience with the thyroid diet(with my late cat, Leopold), it's expensive and it didn't help at all. I plan to continue the Fancy Feast(his current obsession). My vet seems a little hesitant at this. I am hoping we will be able to work together on this.

Anyway, just thought I would introduce myself. Though I am glad it's nothing worse, it's still pretty scary since cat's can't talk.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome to you and Tiger! :) One good way to save money and keep your kitty safe is to test his blood glucose at home. Many of us use human meters to do this. No need for those expensive vet clinic curve days. You're right about Fancy Feast (or Friskies) - they're fine for diabetic cats but it's best to stick to the pate versions. The gravy styles have a high carb level.

Post any/all questions you have on the main health forum where more people will see them.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! If you start testing at home you won't have to go to the vet for curves and it will be cheaper and less stressful for your cat. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.

Fancy feast classic is the way to go.

4. Anne-Callie

Anne-Callie New Member

Hi Rebecca,

My cat has also been diagnosed recently my vet recommend certain flavor of classic Fancy Feast.Its a whole new experience for me,the cat with diabetes(Callie),and my other cat Toby.Hopefully we will get used to this new life style soon.Good luck to you and your cat.

Rebecca Z. likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome, Rebecca and Tiger! :)

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.