Hello! Newly dx'ed.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tucker&Me, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Trying to navigate site, with not much time! Please forgive any newbie social faux paux! I have 2 fur children with FD. Tucker is newly dx, and SpiderSparkle has been maintained by diet for a few yrs, but no longer. I've learned much since her onset. Due to cost & other variables, I am beginning Tucker on NPH today & monitor BG as much as possible. I intend to switch to PZI when feasible. Overwhelmed today. I shall return when I have more time, hopefully this PM. Thx for being here.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. Two Fd kitties! You have your hands full. Let us know how we can help.

We urge FD parents to home test, feed wet low carb and use a slow, long acting insulin. Sounds like you know N isn't one of those. With close monitoring, you should be able to keep him in safe numbers while waiting for a better insulin.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.
    Here is our Humulin/Novolin primer.
    The most important things for now are to test before you shoot, to not shoot below 200 mg/dL until you have data showing it is safe, and to wait 30 minutes after you test and feed to shoot.

4. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Thanks Sue&Oliver! Yes, I am using FF wet food for now. What a chore! Entire household had to be changed over and we're in total uproar here. Plus, I work alot w no partner to assist. I am selecting from Dr. Hopkins food recommendations.
    Question: Do you suggest giving only one flavor to get consistent testing field? I am frustrated because Tucker is very picky, he will graze over to another cat's plate even if I separate them all. He just WON'T EAT if he is isolated either.
    Fun times. BTW I used to live in Canon City.:)

5. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Hello BJM and thanks. Let's get right to it..I am starting home testing on my own, vet did not "prescribe". I am not
    confident. I have all items necessary and keep researching YouTube videos. I am procrastinating. I don't trust Tucker to cooperate, he is wiry & strong willed.I am sitting here right now going over my steps for speed & accuracy. I will read the protocol, but have extremely limited time today and that's stressing me out also. I gave the " prescribed" BID injections yesterday, w/o testing, just to begin. I know this is not optimal. I'll have plenty of questions.
    Thank you for the primer.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Most people do try the same food for a few days before adding another flavor, just to be sure there are no tummy upsets.

Two things that really helped us with testing: be sure to warm the ear enough. We used a rice sack and in the beginning, needed to leave it on the ear a minute or so. Once the capillaries pump up (with repeated poking on them) you may to heat less. Also get a 25-27 gauge lancet (humans use the thinner 30-31 gauge). Again, until the ear "learns" to bleed, a bigger hole may be needed.

The treat is really the key to testing. If you find a treat he loves (ours was Bonito flakes) and only give it during or after the test, he'll come to associate the testing with something he wants. Many cats, after a few months, come to the testing spot when it is time and wait for the treat and the test.

7. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Thanks Sue. So simple, of course that would work. It's getting ALL these moving parts synced up. Want you to know I absolutely know the testing is key. I'm scared stiff about reading & defining results, adjusting dose etc. I went low w injections yesterday because of it.
    Thank you thank you.

8. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

I know exactly what you mean. I was overwhelmed for the first few days, too. My vet didn't prescribe home testing but he didn't discourage me when I suggested it, either. I much prefer knowing what Genghis' reading is before I inject her - the peace of mind is worth it although I'm lucky Genghis is pretty cooperative. The lancet pen I got I just couldn't judge the "sweet spot" on her ear very well - not sure what kind yours is or how it works, but basically I uncapped mine, and just held it like a regular pen with the pin sticking out. I distract her with treats/food, rub the top of her head with my lancet hand and hold her ear with the other. She absolutely hated a cotton ball in her ear, so it really helped me to put protective band-aids on my thumb and forefinger to brace her ear, then lancet by hand. I can almost feel it penetrate her ear (and yes, sometimes I've gone right through! :eek:) but she has been none the worse for wear. One thing -- again not sure what kind of meter you have -- but if I put the strip in too soon, it "times out" and the blood drop is wasted. It's a bit of a dance but you will get there! I'm clumsy as all get out but after nearly a week we're really getting there.

The other thing is, don't worry today about adjusting doses or anything like that. Use the spreadsheet to log your results (it's amazing - I can send you a link if you like) - it has the twofold benefit of giving you a better picture of how the insulin is working and gives more experienced members a clear view to make recommendations. Don't be too anxious to start making tons of changes right away - tincture of time will tell you how to proceed.

You're in good hands!

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Try practicing on an apple or grape, and then on yourself to get a feel for the maneuvers. Some of us insert the test strip halfway in, poke, then push the strip in all the way and test.

10. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Yes I would like to take a look at the spreadsheet you have if you would be so kind. Today will be the first day I can dedicate consecutive hours to testing. He's only had 2 days of BID NPH so far, and I am watching him post shot like a hawk and handling him ears excessively to acclimate in preparation for D-day. :arghh: Did I mention I am "going low" w dose? Thanks very much.

11. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

I have been going through the motions, as you might say and practiced on myself. My lancet was not pricking up enough blood for test strip, per reading. I adjusted number and warmed area better etc. I am calling vet for a .25 gauge this a.m. I am more familiar w handling those. Thanks for your uploads to read.

12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

13. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Sue I will be trying to begin testing today. As soon as vet opens and I can get a .25gauge. That lancet isn't going to do it. Plus he hated that. I know he'll do better w the other method. I watched him all I could post shots yesterday, and then had a work emergency for 5 hrs. When I returned he was just fine, and amazingly NOT BEGGING TO EAT. Calm and even hunted a moth (ate it). What do you make of this? I know w/o testing we have no data..but could the N actually be holding him? He also made it thru the night w/o begging. Thanks.

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

See my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for other assessments which may be made to evaluate your cat.
    And sometimes, N can work well. We say ECID - Every Cat Is Different. What you typically would observe with testing is that the glucose would drop from the pre-shot value to around +3 to +4 hours after the shot, then begin rising. If the rise is slow, the glucose may not get to high by the next pre-shot. For most cats, though, once the N wears off, the glucose zooms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.