Hello to the Group Bear and Deb in Iowa

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dreamwine60, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamwine60

Dreamwine60 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am so relieved to find this group, my cat is 14 yrs old and was 17lbs of loving bubba. He has lost some weight due to an UTI and he is diabetic. I have been reading on this site all day and will be heading to Walmart for a tester and some flavorful cat food. Bear has been getting injections 2 times a day since February and while he is looking better, he is still urinating quite a bit. He is on 3 cc of Vetsulin twice a day. I think I want to change his insulin to the longer acting kind also. I need to download a sample of the spreadsheets and start sampling his blood. I was afraid to do that but after reading all your posts I realize now that it is important.
    Thank you for having such a great group of individuals. You will be hearing from us again. He is also on MD cat food wet mostly and some dry. My biggest questions are;
    1. What to do if he stops eating after the injection- this is happening more and more as I don't think he really likes the MD cat food.
    2. Will his fur ever come back to its former state of beauty? It is really oily looking, yet dry and tufty at the same time.
    Thanks

2. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome! To answer your questions, first, test, then feed, then shoot. Second, it'll take some time, but his fur should get nice again. Our Goofus still makes some pretty big clumps in the sandbox!

You might ask your vet about ProZinc, it's a longer acting insulin. I'm glad to hear that you're going to home test, mostly it helps give you peace of mind, tho sometimes it can make you a little NUTS. Like when the numbers are all over the place.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

We measure insulin in units, not cc (cubic centimeters) nor milliliters (mL, this is the preferred) measurement label for liquids). Depending on the insulin, the concentration of units in 1 mL varies.
    U-100 means 100 units per mL.
    U-40 means 40 units per mL.
    Vetsulin is a U-40 insulin, so you likely mean you are giving 3 units.

Using our grid to record your glucose tests will help us give you better feedback. Instructions are here.

Understanding the spreadsheet/grid:

The colored headings at the top are the ranges of glucose values. They are color-coded to clue you in as to meaning.

Each day is 1 row. Each column stores different data for the day.

From left to right, you enter
    the Date in the first column
    the AMPS (morning pre-shot test) in the 2nd column
    the Units given (turquoise column)

Then, there are 11 columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you test at +5 (5 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +5 column
    If you test at +7 (7 hours after the shot), you enter the test number in the +7 column
    and so on.

Halfway across the page is the column for PMPS (evening pre-shot)
    To the right is another turquoise column for Units given at the evening shot.

There is second set of columns labeled +1 through +11
    If you snag a before bed test at +3, you enter the test number in the +3 column.

We separate day and night numbers like that because many cats go lower at night.

It is merely a grid for storing the info; no math required.

4. Dreamwine60

Dreamwine60 New Member

Bear and I have moved to a new insulin and he is on 4 units a day. I am going to do the B12 shots to help with the back leg neuropathy. I have the following dose recommendations
    20 units once weekly for 4 weeks, then once every 2 weeks, then once monthly. My vet gave this to me, but it is actually from another patient whose cat has diabetes. I have been looking all over the Internet trying to see if I can somehow verify this dosage and can't find anything. Does anyone else inject the B12?
    thanks in advance. Bear is still loosing weight, but I think it will level off now. He is loving the Fancy Feast I mix in with his md formula wet food and I have high hopes for the b12.

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just what injectable B12 do you plan to give? Methylcobalamin (Methyl B-12) is what is used for neuropathy

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Methylcobalamin may be given orally. Vitacost has a version which is less expensive than Xobaline.

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

What is the new insulin?

8. Dreamwine60

Dreamwine60 New Member

I haven't received the B12 yet, it had to be ordered by my vet. It will be the methylcolbalamine though, They wrote down what the other lady had them order. I was looking all over the internet to find the injectable and no luck, except for a 100 ml vial and I think 30 ml will last long enough. They were told the dosage by the other patient. Walmart carries the cyanocolbalamine but I realize there may be a difference. I am running into what you all have, educating myself and my vet.

9. Dreamwine60

Dreamwine60 New Member

I am opting for the injection because my cat is terrible at taking pills. He takes the shots very easily however.

10. Dreamwine60

Dreamwine60 New Member

Prozinc, and I think I can actually see a difference since we started the new dose, (4 days ). I see some of my old bear, purring loudly, walking stronger, just more social in general. Could be my imagination but I don't think so.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Methylcobalamin can come as a powder and be sprinkled in the food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.