Hello

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CHenry, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHenry

CHenry New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am new here. My kitty Molly has just been diagnosed. Feeling very overwhelmed overall, but really hoping I can do this. It is very comforting to have this site to come to for reference and support, so thank you in advance.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB CHenry (Would you like us to call you something else?)
    There is tons of stuff here that you can read and learn which will help your cat.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to you and Molly.

Diabetes is very much a treatable condition. You've found a great place to learn and to get support. :)

4. CHenry

CHenry New Member

Thank you both. I have definitely been reading up on this site. Call me Courtney.

Critter mom , am I reading your signature right that your kitty was only on insulin for 6 months? That is great!

5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Courtney. :)

Yep. Saoirse went OTJ six months to the day after diagnosis. I was doubly delighted because she had a bad pancreatitis flare not long after starting insulin treatment and I worried that she might lose her chance of becoming diet-controlled. Her numbers had been improving but they deteriorated again with the inflammation in the pancreas after I had to suspend her insulin treatment. In the UK vets have to prescribe Caninsulin first by law. It only helped Saoirse part of the way and as her numbers got lower it became too dangerous to administer (big drops in BG at onset). With the spreadsheet data and clinical observations I made, I was able to build a case to get Saoirse a prescription for Lantus. With its gentler, longer action, Lantus made a great difference to her blood glucose regulation, and it gave her little pancreas a chance to heal.

You're not alone with the overwhelmed feeling, btw. I think most, if not all, of the members here felt like that in the early days. It does get better and less scary as you go along. Promise!

How is Molly doing today?

6. CHenry

CHenry New Member

Good to know that everyone goes through the initial shock/being overwhelmed. Molly is ok-still drinking/peeing but seems maybe a little more active tonight. I am working on changing her food. Haven't started insulin yet, I go to vet Friday for that. After reading on here though, it sounds like it may be better for me to test her glucose for several days first to get a baseline of sorts, especially with changing her food. Vet wants me to feed DM but sounds like Friskies Pate and fancy feast classics are better. I'm nervous with changing food since she has had pancreatitis before and is finicky. She's been on I/D dry since that (close to 2 years). I get the glucose tracker Friday too.

7. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome

Like critter mom my cat was also on insulin for just a few months and like you my cat also has chronic pancreatitis.

Go very careful with any food changes, the slower the better. Remi was on dry food for years until his diagnosis. I decided on a low fat, low carb, high protein dirt for him as he seems to be fat sensitive. You could also increase the protein and decrease fat levels in a food by adding in plain cooked chicken breast.

When you go back to the vet make sure he takes new readings based on your food changes as it should lower the blood glucose. Do you know what insulin he is giving you? Are you buying a human meter or a feline one (alphatrak). Most of us use the human one as test strips on the alphatrak are very expensive and the human one works just fine.

And don't worry we were all overwhelmed in the beginning. It soon settles into a pattern.

8. Fiona and Sasha

Fiona and Sasha Member

Hi Courtney. Right there with you in feeling overwhelmed. My kitty (Sasha) was just diagnosed, too. I hope Molly improves soon.
    The vet keeps giving me contradictory advice about the feeding of Sasha and my non-diabetic kitty. It is so good to be able to come here and see what others have to say.

Fiona

9. CHenry

CHenry New Member

Fiona, what did your vet say? I have another cat too who is non diabetic so figuring out feeding is tough. I'm still not sure yet how to best approach.

I got the insulin today, pro zinc. Also didn't know better and got the alphatrack before I read on here that the human ones work ok too. Molly is not patient with me so I think I'll have trouble getting her blood glucose. Giving the shot will be easier but still not fun. They did a reading at the vet today and it was 411. What is normal? I think I read on here, 100-200?

How is Sasha doing?

10. Fiona and Sasha

Fiona and Sasha Member

I didn't ask the vet, as I figured he wouldn't have much to say other than feed them in separate rooms. Hard when they both like to graze.

411 is way too high at any time :( Any improvement?

Sasha is doing really well. He was ravenously hungry this morning. I took a cute pic that shows the food still over his face while he had a comfortable nap :)

2015-02-28 11.38.45.jpg

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Courtney and Molly, and welcome to FDMB :bighug:

Many of us have more than one kitty, and it can be lot easier if the non-diabetics eat the same food as the diabetic kitty. Low carb wet food is good for all kitties. :)

Eliz

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

13. Fiona and Sasha

Fiona and Sasha Member

I am with Elizabeth on this. I just have issues with Bella having IBS, so I am trying to keep her on hypoallergenic food, which the vet agreed today was the best thing for her. Wish I knew more about cat food when I first got Bella. I used to feed her heaps of Whiskers. I knew better by the time Sasha moved in.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.