Hello

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Picker, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picker

Picker New Member

Wonderful site; I have a diabetic kitty, Gizmo. He is 16 years young and diagnosed one year ago, it has been a tremendous learning experience. When he was diagnosed his sugar was very high, today he had a seizure and took him to the vet with his blood sugar dropping to 18. He is doing better now, it was very scary.

2. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

OMG. I hope he is all right. You know he may be very sensitive to the insulin now?
    I sure hope you are home testing.??
    It would help everyone here, to help you and Gizmo if you were able to fill in your signature and profile with some details such as type of insulin and dose, Gizmo's diet etc etc.
    If you need help setting up a SPREADSHEET for recording Gizmo's daily glucose readings.. Please ask !! It helps to have the info handy online for veteran members to see at a glance, when you are posting for help etc.
    What type of glucometer are you using? 18 is super scary low.
    Please let us know what we can help you with, and how Gizmo is doing today.

3. Picker

Picker New Member

This is all such a blur for me and I kick myself for not being more informed on this disease, he was actually diagnosed in February of this year. I thought I was doing everything right and trusted the vet in monitoring his glucose every month but from this website now realize how important it is for me to monitor him. I have been so very careful with his diet and have him on the DM prescription food. He is doing so much better now.

4. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Gizmo is so handsome! Hope he's feeling better today, best wishes to you both.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Gizmo is so cute! I'm glad he's doing better after that scary hypo episode. Please pick up a meter today and begin testing him, and set up a spreadsheet. As Tucker&me said above, Gizmo may be more sensitive to insulin now and need a reduction. You won't know unless you monitor. Good luck and please keep us posted!

6. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Please don't kick yourself!! We don't do that here! :bighug:
    Just know, that going forward is all that we can do now for our kitties, and ourselves! Live and Learn, right?
    And boy will you learn here at FDMB!! Please don't be discouraged at everything that may be thrown at you in a very short time. My mentor, Sue, says it's a steep learning curve. Hang in there!
    This is a place where questions, questions, QUESTIONS are encouraged!! Ask away!!
    Please get a glucometer today. ReliOn brand at Walmart can be under $15 if you are in the U.S. Ask the pharmacy there to help you find it and the strips for it. You will also need a "poking needle" called a lancet, get the 26 gauge for now. About $3.00 THEN WATCH VIDEOS HERE ::
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Let us know how we can be of any kind of help. Just start a new post, or post again here.

PS. What is your name? I'm -Brenda :)

Brashworks likes this.
  7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Welcome. How scary. How is Gizmo now? I was in same exact situation as you. Smokey was 32 (no seizure) when I caught it just the other night. And yes I also let the vet monitor him after all they are the doctors. I now will monitor twice a day strictly and when indicated more often. Become quite good at it if I do say so, it does help if pet cooperates which mine does very well. Keep us posted.

Tucker&Me likes this.
  8. Picker

Picker New Member

Thank you for you kindness....I am Nancy and mom to three kitties....can't imagine life without kitties! I watched the videos and bought a glucometer and ready to give it a go. Gizmo is such a mello guy that I don't think it is going to be an issue. My biggest problem right now is my job and inconsistant hours; I work in fire and right now California is an inferno. I am trying to keep Gizmo on a consistant schedule and that portion has been hard.
    Thank You for all the wonderful advise to make it easier for both Gizmo and myself!!!!

9. Picker

Picker New Member

What a beautiful boy Smokey is! Gizmo is doing much better and I went out and bought the glucometer and ready to start monitoring him.
    Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!

10. Picker

Picker New Member

Thanks to all of you....what an amazing group of people and the love for your fur family shows! I bought a glucometer and am going to start testing. I am sure I will have questions but feel so much better knowing I have a group of people to get advise from.

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

When you have a moment, could you add a few tidbits to your signature? It will help us give you feedback.

Editing your Signature

In the upper right corner of the screen, within the dark blue bar, you will see ID, Inbox, and Alerts

Click on your ID.

On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature.
    This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback. You are limited to 2 hard returns, so separate pieces by | or -.
    This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
    Add any other text, such as
    your name | cat's name | date of Dx (diagnosis) | insulin | meter
    general location (city and state/province)
    any other pertinent issues like if there are any food issues, history of DKA, hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, allergies, IBD, etc.
    Click the Save Changes button at the bottom.

Always click the Save Changes button at the bottom when you have changed anything.

12. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

You're welcome Nancy. You've got alot on your plate! California looks pretty crazy right now.
    At least Smokey being mellow is a plus for you in the testing department. I'm hopeful it goes smooth for you.
    Of course you know, there are wonderful, experienced peeps here to assist and advise!
    Smokey's name now makes perfect sense!
    All the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.