Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purr's People

Purr's People Member

My poor kitty was diagnosed on Friday. He is 9 years old and has been with us since he was 3 months. I kind of suspected it was Diabetes although I have never had a kitty in my life with this disease. It is a little overwhelming but honestly, I am relived. This is for two reasons. One he does not have Kidney trouble, I have had kittys with this before and it is not a nice thing. Two, I know what is ailing him and can help. We are not a rich family and Purr is my responsibility and I will be paying for all his expenses. Because I knew something was wrong with him I budgeted for $500.00 (Canadian) I only work 3-5 days a month and this took me some time to do. My question is to you all, hopefully it is an appropriate question for here, is that my Vet is very nice and patient, however through all that was going on Friday I was told about having a consultation to teach me how to give him his ear pricks and insulin. My question is this; Do we have to pay for this consultation, and if so does any of you have an estimate on how much this will be? I have searched the net for information on this at all my local Vets and have not found any thing. Well thank-you all for your time. Purr's Mum.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.

It is realistic for your vet to charge for teaching you to home test BGs. It does take up their time. How much your vet would charge is up to them. I consider giving insulin would have be included in the initial diagnostic visit. Mine was.
    I learned to BG test myself with help from people on this board.
    Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/
    If someone is here is near to our then can likely visit you to help with testing and injection

Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

When you need detailed information please post in the Health forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Purr and his people! Sorry Purr has been diagnosed with diabetes, but glad you've decided to treat him. There are lots of ways to save money on Purrs treatment, including food, insulin and general health care. People here have some amazing tips and ideas that can help, post on the Health forum with any questions.

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

When Bandit was diagnosed, his vet had me come in to show me how to home test and do injections, and she charged me the cost of a recheck visit for that ($30 US, I think). The link that Larry posted up above is a fantastic resource that can also teach you how to home test, if you feel the cost is too much for your budget, but it shouldn't be much. It is nice to have your vet show you in person, and you can always call your vet's office and ask how much the consultation will be before you decided to teach yourself. I can tell you that while it's nice to have someone show you in person, 90% of getting good at hometesting will be practicing yourself at home.

5. Purr's People

Purr's People Member

Thank-you all for your great replies and also the welcome. I did find out today that my consult will be $79,00 Cd. I am waiting for a call back from my vet to see if they can help me out with my situation. (nice Vet huh? I was quite surprise that they were so understanding!) I have read lots on the net for Purr's Diabetes. ( I tend to reasearch as much as I can when a loved one gets sick) I think I would be able to do all this on my own, although, having the information straight from the Vet I think I would feel more secure. If not I can do this. So now I will sit a wait for good news from the Vet. Thank-you all for the comments/help you have given me. I appreciate it immensely!

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. Another Canadian here. I am in the Toronto, Ontario, Where are you located? I have a wonderful vet too and while I didn't have to take any training to deal with the ear pricks and shots (retired R.N.) I imagine it would have been a regular office consult which for my vet is $84.00 so your vet's cost seems quite reasonable.

There is a remarkable group of folks here, all willing to share their years of hands on experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. :)

7. Purr's People

Purr's People Member

To MrWorfMen's Mom I am in Manitoba. Thank you so much!!
    Well my new human and animal friends here....... I need your help. My vet did not work out so can I lean on you guys to help me through pricking Purr and administering insulin. I will go where ever I need to on FDMB to ask the "health" questions but now I feel a bit lost.
    Thanks every one for your kindness.

8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Hi Purr's Mum. We can call you Purr's Mom but most of us use our first names if you'd like to share that info. There is at least one other person in Manitoba on the board and maybe more. Maybe you are in the same area. We'd be delighted to help you with the testing and injecting. Why don't you have a peak here and watch a few videos about testing and injecting. I know there are probably other links on the forum but I don't have them handy this minute. This should give you a little info and lay a foundation for any questions. Then you can post any questions you have on the Health Forum. I'll watch for you and if you have any problem just sing out! :)

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

Just to be clear (which I don't think I was :oops:,) you can post questions on the Feline Health- Main Forum. :)

10. Purr's People

Purr's People Member

Okay, Tracy here. I just kind of wanted to make this all about my kitty he is most important. I understand though. I have watched some You Tube videos already (you tube is kind of my go to) I have the pen so it may be a little easier it looks like. One video showed a yellow line in his ear, did not know this. My big question is the dosage but that will be a Health Forum question I guess. Thank-you for your help. Buy the way my pic is now my kitty Purr up top and Roxy who we lost on March 9 2015 at 2:14.

11. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

I learned how to home test on my own, without a vet. Everyone on the board will get you set up...just follow directions :) We're glad to have you aboard. All questions can be answered either in the main forum, or in each individual insulin's designated board.

You'll do fine:cat:

12. Purr's People

Purr's People Member

Thank-you so much Jeanne and Dottie. Kind of needed that vote of confidence right now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.