Hello,

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tomoko, Jul 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomoko

Tomoko New Member

Hello everyone. My cat Kuro who is 16 years old was diagnosed with diabetes on Friday. I was shocked and felt hopeless.... He has just over come anorexia and has a very sensitive stomach (almost IBD). We know that switching his food from d/d to DM and regulating his gulcose level would be challenging. He does not have much of an appitite so I have to force him to eat .... I feel lost. I'm hoping to get some moral and knowledge support from this site.

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi welcome to you and Kuro. It seems very overwhelming at first, but you've come to the right place. The sensitive stomach will make it more difficult, but there are others with many of the same problems that can help you. They will help you find foods that Kuro will like and can tolerate. What insulin is Kuro on? We have lots of info located in separate forums for each insulin. Post in the Health Forum if you have any questions or if you just need some reassurance.

3. Tomoko

Tomoko New Member

Thank you for replying. He is on vetsuline, 2units every 12 hours. I just ordered a home glucose measurement kit. It will be here tomorrow. I have been mixing d/d and DM. I really hope he can take DM.

Thank you for providing me the lhelpful info.

4. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Hello and welcome. :cat: A lot of information to cover on insulin, appetite stimulants, cheaper low carb foods etc. I wont overwhelm you though. Diabetes is very treatable.

Tomoko likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

DM is a good food, transition to it slowly and if he has problems, we will help you figure out something. Good that you will be home monitoring! The spreadsheet we use is extremely helpful for tracking Kuros glucose numbers. Here are instructions to set it up
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    If you need help, just ask and someone will do it for you.
    Here is some info on Vetsulin
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/vetsulin-caninsulin-user-guide.302/

Tomoko likes this.
  6. scoobydoox

scoobydoox Member

Post over in the health forum and we can get your loaded up on all the info you will need.

Tomoko likes this.
  7. Tomoko

Tomoko New Member

Thank you!!

8. Tomoko

Tomoko New Member

Thanl you so much for your assistance!!!

scoobydoox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.