Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purpleallie

purpleallie Guest

Hello

My name is Allie and my main coon is called Pippin. He was diagnosed a few days ago and to say I'm terrified is an understatement. Going back to the vets on Wednesday to learn how to inject him etc. Ive never had a cat with diabetes before and to be honest I didn't even know cats could get it. I'm scared of the future for him, I don't want him to be in pain. Hes lost 2kg of weight in a few weeks. Hes also been diagnosed with a lump up his nose hence the blood tests, thankfully it doesn't look like its cancer. I just need some advice as to how do I keep him ok, what things should I look out for for him getting sick etc. Thank you. xx

Herta & Honey likes this.
  2. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hello Allie,

Just stop, take a breath and relax a little. There is lots of information on here and lots of support for you and advice from very experienced people to guide you through everything. 3 weeks ago I was in your shoes, if I can do this you can too! :)

The main thing I feel is to begin home testing, this will give you peace of mind and keep Pippin safe.

How you proceed from here is up to you, I highly recommend looking into suitable food as this will,help with his glucose levels and bring them down as soon as you begin it. You do not need prescription food, and there is a list here that will give you many options to choose from.

Depending on which insulin Pippin is put on you may want to post in the appropriate forum for that and any questions can be posted on the main health forums where lots of people can help you.

When he starts the insulin you will see him begin to put the weight back on :)

purpleallie likes this.
  3. purpleallie

purpleallie Guest

The vet has said he doesn't recommend home testing and he would prefer to test him. He has mentioned a new diet which I think is going to be dry food which is going to be hard as his front bottom big tooth is missing and he cant eat biscuits proper. When the vet told me I must admit I thought it was going to euthanasia for him but now I'm feeling more hopeful so thank you. xx

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hi Allie,

There are many people here who can help you to help Pippin. It might be a good idea to occupy your mind and focus some of that nervous energy by going to the main page of the forum up to the top where it says "Suggestions, Tech Support and Testing Area". Read the 4 stickies you see at the top of that page so you can learn more about how the forum works, how a blood glucose tracking spread sheet is set up, etc. This will seem daunting but it is definitely doable. If you decide to be hands on with Pippin's treatment, these are excellent tools. You will have to come to terms with doing things differently from the way your vet recommends. We've all been there and I think you'll quickly see how taking action helps to reduce your anxiety. You'll feel less helpless for sure!

purpleallie likes this.
  5. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Yes my vet told me the same.. He didn't recommend it but conceded that I could test for the nadir if I must (lowest point the blood glucose reaches on insulin) If I hadn't tested Tempest she would have had a hypo which is potentially fatal or at least requires a very expensive and distressing emergency visit.

Also kitty will be under stress at the vets and his bg levels will be higher than at home so won't give you or the vet the best picture.

I feel the vets say that in order to get more money out of us. If you home test then they don't have to and don't get paid.

All the information I've seen in here recommends not to give dry food. Prescription food is yet again another way for vets to get more money from us without any benefit to The cat. If he does have trouble eating dry food then I'd definitely be feeding wet. However at the end of the day it's your cat and your decisions to make. :) all we can offer is advice and that is all.

6. purpleallie

purpleallie Guest

I feed him felix or whiskers wet food. Are they ok? Any advice is greatly appreciated as I haven't got a clue. xx

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Canned food is the way to go and you don't have to buy expensive prescription food. Just to get you started: the Fancy Feast Classics (pates) and the Friskies pates are quite low carb, readily available (at least in Canada and the US) and used by many people here. Best to avoid too much fish and focus on the poultry. The canned foods that have any kind of gravy or sauce tend to be higher in carbs so aren't recommended. If Pippin is a good eater and OK with wet food, you should have no trouble finding something acceptable. Tempest's Mum can give you better advice about what's available across the pond.

purpleallie likes this.
  8. Alexi

Alexi Member

Hi Allie, I see you are in the UK - there are quite a few of us UKers on the board. Here is the list of low carb food available here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J5JpMe6TDXrHq_aTl9hUtHy6Gs9oRBqlz4nPGKxtySA/pubhtml Gravy type foods are high carb but pate or jelly foods are ok. Dry food is high carb - even the 'diabetic' ones and there is no need for special food in the absence of other health conditions.

We recommend home testing of blood glucose, most people use an inexpensive human glucometer and track the numbers on a google drive spreadsheet. Home testing gives a much better indication of how your cat will respond to insulin and will help to keep him safe. The two licensed insulins for cats are Caninsulin and Prozinc, do you know which you will be starting?

Have a read of the various sticky threads which have a lot of information to help get you started and any questions just ask away! This board is a huge source of help and support with a wealth of experience. We can help you through this.

Critter Mom and purpleallie like this.
  9. purpleallie

purpleallie Guest

The vet hasn't told me yet which type of insulin hes going to have. Hes told me its going to be £35/£40 per 6 weeks for the insulin. I've been on you tube watching vidoes on how to inject.

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It IS REALLY TREATABLE so don't give up on the kitty. :) You can do this!! BTW, the dry perscription food isn't great. it is around 10% carbs. Stick with lower carb wet food that is 5% or less carbs.

purpleallie and TempestsMum like this.
  11. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hmm seems expensive. I'm using proZinc which is one of the more expensive ones (so my vet says) I think it was £45 - 60 and is good for 3 months.
    I think the most usual one is canninsulin or vetsulin which is what they wanted me to use but I refused. It's cheaper but seems to work well.

purpleallie likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

Sounds like it will most likely be Canisilun... which is the same as the Vetsulin my kitty is on. some will say it's not a great choice but I (and others) have had success with it! Just look at CC's spreadsheet in my signature! Six weeks ago her average preshot numbers where in the 300's and 400's.... and this week she's averaging in the 100's!

Rach & Honeybun and TempestsMum like this.
  13. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Your numbers are looking fabulous @JanetNJ :) well done!

14. JanetNJ

thanks! I'm hoping to be able to do an OTJ trial in the not too distant future!

purpleallie and TempestsMum like this.
  15. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Honey has already started to plump up after 8 days :D You will do this Allie:bighug:

16. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

The Caninsulin from my vets was about £10 a bottle (2.5ml) I wonder if he's including the needles in that too as you can get them waaaay cheaper. :)

Critter Mom and purpleallie like this.
  17. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Allie @purpleallie , and welcome to FDMB! :bighug:
    (I'm glad you made it over here from FB.)

It can be quite a shock to suddenly find out that our cat is diabetic. And it's only natural to wonder (or even worry) about what the future holds.
    Please be reassured that diabetes is very treatable. And with good care, and just a little bit of luck, a diabetic cat can live as long and as happily as a non-diabetic cat. My own cat has been diabetic for nine and a half years (he's now 17 years old).

It seems like there's a lot of information to take in at first, but don't worry. You don't have to 'learn' or 'do' everything all at once. Just take things at your own pace. And remember to breathe....

FDMB is a wonderful community of cat-loving people. You've found the best place on the planet (and possibly in the universe ;)) for advice and support. You'll soon feel at home here. :cat::coffee:

Reassuring (((hugs))) to you,

Eliz

18. purpleallie

purpleallie Guest

Thank you all so much. I'm slowly reading all the information on the site. I feel more hopeful than I did. I picked Pippin up last night and it feels like hes lost more weight so I'm going to get the vet to weigh him again on Wednesday. Hes sleeping a lot which I presume is normal. I'm trying to give him more attention but its hard as hes not a lap cat and he likes sleeping under the spare bed. He does sleep on my head of a night tho. Any suggestions as to how I can give him the injections as he wont let me cuddle him. xx

Rach & Honeybun likes this.
  19. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

My kitty isn't really cuddly either but she will hang out with me and get on my knee. The bg tests for us were the most challenging - she only really grumbles if I take too long now. The injections she's fine about but grumbled the first few times.
    I practiced on a small toy the first night or two. Really helps with the confidence. I just organise her shot, then go to her stroke her and then pop it in while she's wherever she is. Then more play or strokes or more food. She now knows when she gets her ear pricked food follows and goes straight to her bowl lol

20. purpleallie

purpleallie Guest

First shot done. Wasn't easy but I did. I spent the day practising on an orange. x

21. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

Well done Allie! The second will be easier! :bighug:

22. Elizabeth and Bertie

Yay! Well done, Allie!

I practiced on oranges too. It works really well.
    I was needle-phobic when Bert was first diagnosed and spent quite a bit of time in those early days torturing citrus fruit.... :rolleyes:

Eliz

Critter Mom, JanetNJ and TempestsMum like this.
  23. purpleallie

purpleallie Guest

I'm fine with needles on myself as I have 13 tattoos. lol. Just don't like jabbing pippin, Third one wasn't to easy. I feed him mid food so I give him a small amount from the sachet whilst I wash my hands and get injection ready. Give him remainder and then inject him. Worked fine this morning. Tonight not so easy. Fatty decided to gobble the second lot so it took 2 attempts to get the needle in as he walked away the first time. Luckily I hadn't depressed the plunger.
    Ive been getting some really good advice from the Uk sugarkitties owners and ive just ordered some Thrive treats and biscuits. The biscuits are just to leave a few down if I go out. The treats are for injection times. I'm going to keep a pack of the dreamies I have but all other biscuits and treats will be donated to the cats protection league. xx

24. Elizabeth and Bertie

Yes, Allie, these are probably fine...

Which Felix and Whiskas foods have you been feeding recently?
    And how much dry food/biscuits have you been feeding?

Eliz

25. Elizabeth and Bertie

Allie, which insulin is Pippin on? Caninsulin or Prozinc? And what dose has he been started on?

Eliz

26. Rach & Honeybun

Rach & Honeybun Member

27. purpleallie

purpleallie Guest

Im feeding pippin felix and whiskers pouches in jelly. Hes on 2 units per shot twice a day. So i give him his shot at 9.15am and then again at 9.15pm. Hes on caninsulin. The vet has told me that he cant rule out cancer as he has got a mass up his nose. They cant biopsy as they cant reach it. Blood tests wont show up this form of cancer. I think this is why my vet doesnt want to change his diet or me to hometest yet.

28. Alexi

Alexi Member

Hi Allie - can you update your signature with the information, saves everyone keeping asking the same questions. I would recommend you learn to home test as it really does put you in control and helps keep your sweet Pippin safe. You can test from the ears or the paw pads, whichever you find easiest and we'll be happy to teach you what to do.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.