Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hello!

My cat Gordy was diagnosed with diabetes this week via a blood test. I haven't re-met with my vet yet, but I spoke with him last night and I am making time to go in.

I'm suppose to collect a urine sample to officially confirm it (wish me luck... a 19lb cat peeing into a small amount of sand doesn't seem feasible LOL).

Gordy is a handsome 12-year-old tomcat! He is (now) 19lbs, but not super fat... just "big". He has always loved to eat and sleep, and has pretty much been lazy his whole existence. I chalked some of his laziness up to being old, but it could be a different case. I also have a cutie pie 7 year old female, Rex! (She is a handful...)

A little about what's been happening with Mr. Gord....
    -I noticed a few weeks ago that he seemed to be drinking more water than usual, which lead to him peeing a lot more (ie flooding). His fur wasn't as pristine as it used to be, but overall was fine.
    -So I watched, because this has happened before and he went back to normal... No luck.
    -I brought him to the vet on Monday and they were able to get blood, but no urine (sent me home with a kit)
    -He had lost a pound since August (when he had his annual checkup)
    -Vet called and left VM and I was about to talk to him (albeit briefly) last night. Gordy's glucose levels were high (I have the number, but not with me right now). He also mentioned there is a possibility that the extra stress made it spike (Gordy gets very very scared).
    -Gordy had blood work done in March because he wasn't eating (turns out he had a nasty kitty-cold.... $200 later) and everything was normal then, so we definitely picked up on this pretty early.
    -Of course, I had been doing TONS of researching (and not so mild freaking out) and began feeding both cats wet food, with a "snack" of dry... Now he is drinking and peeing normally... (if only it would end up being so simple)

I'll know more when I meet with the vet again. I'm nervous about the insulin shot part and feeding schedules because I live alone and work 2 jobs. Fingers crossed he will only need 1 shot a day, if any.

This forum has already been helpful, so mucho thanks!!!

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Good insulins are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.

Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb canned

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/
    If you have any questions post in the Health forum http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

The han Insulins are gpod if you're lifestylelets you be home to give the shots ar the sme time every day. The pet insulin gives you more flex.

Welcome to our group. There are lots of people who can answer your questions.

4. CassAndGordy(GA)

I am officially meeting with the Vet and Gordy. He'll get his first dose today and hopefully I can work the timing out. That's mainly the thing I am worried about at this point =\ I can't really afford to change my work schedule, because then I won't be able to afford anything (literally). *fingers crossed*

I've been feeding them Wellness wet food for the past few days. Both cats seem to like it. I know the Vet wants me to do Purina DM, but I can't afford right now. If Gordy's condition ends up being super easy to maintain, I may ask if I can do some dry for when I am gone during the day. My cats have always been dry food only with exceptions of "special" treats... I usually only gave them wet when they had a trauma (groomers or vet lol) or weren't feeling well. I kind of want to do something "cheaper" but I also want to make sure they are getting the best I can afford.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Many of us here feed Friskies and Fancy Feast pates to our diabetic cats. These foods are actually better nutritionally for diabetics than you might think and are a lot easier on the wallet. The Purina DM is expensive and not much different in composition. I actually mix Friskies or Fancy Feast pates into my cat's DM to vary the flavour for him and that makes the DM go further too. Wellness is premium food and you might be able to stretch it with Friskies or Fancy Feast.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You can free-feed wet food, too. If Gordy is a food inhaler a timed feeder can space the feeds out as needed while you're away from the house.

Mogs

7. CassAndGordy(GA)

I think I will do scheduled feedings for a bit while getting used to all of this... Everything is so overwhelming, so I keep going back and forth between being "cool" with all that needs to be done and freaking out. I am happy the Vet said Wellness was a good substitute for the DM (its still pricy... but I can get it on Amazon). Once I get a good handle on how all this truly works and how Gordy is reacting, maybe I'll change it to a mix of Wellness and others.

The Vet dealing with this is also a diabetic, so he knows how it works. But he isn't my favorite at the practice. We'll see how it goes. We go back next week to get a curve done and to see how he is dealing with the low dose. (My wallet hopes he is dealing well, ha ha.)

Since I started feeding the wet food, both cats don't seem to be very interested in the dry (which is good I guess), but still like to nibble. He recommended I pick a better "Quality" dry if I want to keep using some. I have it set to dispense 1/8 cup twice a day. Pretty sure my non-diabetic will eat most of it.

I am lucky my second job said its ok for me to come in a 1/2 hour later for now so I can go home and give Gordy his dose of insulin.

I keep telling myself that I am lucky... I caught this very early. Has had less than 6 months (probably more like 2).

I am rambling now. Sorry :(

8. Critter Mom

It does get easier as you learn more and sort out a schedule that works for you and Gordy. Promise.

:bighug:

Mogs

9. Critter Mom

Huge props to your employers.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.