Hello!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ana&Ian, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana&Ian

Ana&Ian New Member

Hi there! My name is Ana, and my cat's name is Ian. I've been lurking this forum since he got diagnosed for this advice or that. It's been quite helpful and even a bit calming knowing there's such a strong supportive community, so I thought it would be even better if I joined!

Edit: A little about Ian, he's rowdy, and cuddly, and loves playing fetch. Responds to things like, "are ya hungry?", "Are you ready? Fetch!" (he gets very excited), and "yoga" (stretches on command most times). He also has a meeeean glare, hahahaha

He was officially diagnosed with pancreatitis and diabetes on Tuesday, May 15, 2018. Almost a week ago. He spent two nights (Tuesday and Wednesday) in ICU; the first to treat his pancreatitis and second to start giving him insulin and continue to monitor him.

The week or so prior to that, I felt something was off, because he started licking himself where I would touch him. It was off because he never did that with me, and it was something I loved because it felt like it was one way he showed he loved me. Later on, he stopped eating his regular food, and I figured it was because I had been spoiling him with loads of treats that I'd gotten (Purina sea food party mix), and as he tends to be finicky about food (go off one brand or type until I got another), I figured he was just being stubborn because I refused to give him more treats.

Well, by Friday before mother's day, he stopped eating all together, and barely drank water. I went out and bought loads of different foods (wet and dry) and he didn't want any of it. He lost weight fast. Saturday I was extremely worried, my dad (mistakenly) suggested I give him some milk. He lapped it up a bit, which was nice to see. What ended up being nausea, I thought maybe was a toothache (turns out he has really nice teeth), because he at times seemed to want to eat and would approach the bowl, sniff, and lick his chops, but then he'd walk away. I was lucky if he lapped up some juice/gravy/etc. But it wasn't much. I cracked open some tuna in water, and he lapped up some of that. Threw up that day (I'm guessing a combination of pancreatitis and just not a great combination of tuna and milk in his otherwise empty tummy).

Sunday was worse, he ate nothing, and drank little. His breathing was, strange. He didn't seem to be in pain but he did seem uncomfortable and I had to block all the rooms because he's hard to find sometimes and I needed to keep an eye on him. The previous days he hadn't been chatty at all (he's a very talkative cat and I love it), and Sunday, when I'd come by him (he was extremely lethargic, didn't move, barely got on his two front paws to drink water after I pestered him to), he'd look up and meow in a different way than his usual, this was almost desperately or pained, and it was heart-wrenching being unable to explain to him that I would take him to see a vet tomorrow and make sure he'd be all better.

I had lost my childhood cat some time before I adopted Ian as a kitten, it left me heartbroken to this day, and I feared the worst. Monday morning, I made an appointment with a vet for the same day (his usual vet was beyond booked!), in which they took his blood, and checked him overall. Tuesday I came in for relatively clear results, but they took a urine sample, with which they discovered he had 1+ ketone. The vet doesn't have 24/7 care, but she said it would be best to take him to the Pet ER, so I did.

He was released Thursday night, with vetsulin and prescribed purina MD wet AND DRY food. The nurses came out to say hello and praised him for being a good diabetic. So that was awesome.

Sunday night, I got the alphatrak 2 I ordered online, alongside some other equipment and I've been testing him since. I've also been administering his Vetsulin since Thursday when he was released to come home. Up until this point, I had a very real, and severe fear of needles that has mostly disappeared overnight. I'm not very good at taking his blood, but I'm getting a little better at giving him insulin.

It's still very scary. Sometimes it's a little hard not to cry, especially when I was told he would likely go into remission, when I see his numbers in the 300s. I changed him over to fancy feast pate classics until I can afford BFF, wellness, and the like (his recent trip to the vet was a bit over $3,000).

Anyway, that's my big introduction! If you stuck around with me, oh my goodness you are so patient!

Thanks for reading, and I apologize for the long post.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Reason for edit: Added more about Ian
  2. KJC80

KJC80 Member

Welcome to the forum! I'm new, too, so I don't have much advice to share other than each day does get a little easier!

Ana&Ian likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome Ana and Ian! So great that you are already hometesting. This sugar dance can be overwhelming at first, but it will get easier as you go along. Come join us in the Main Health forum and ask any questions you have.

Ana&Ian likes this.
  4. Ana&Ian

Ana&Ian New Member

Thanks so much! I certainly hope it gets a little easier, for my kitty's sake. I don't think I'm a very good nurse to him at present so here's hoping I get better and better!

Thaaaank you! Yeah I aim to do at least three a day, but only did the necessary 2 today. I think my kitty's ears must be sore. If not easier, I hope his levels get to a more normal and steady place. I just wish I could explain to him what's going on with this new routine and prickling! He's surprisingly patient with me, haha.

Thank you very much, I'll do just that. :) I'll be posting tomorrow some health-related questions, and I hope to see you there, Sharon!

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Ana&Ian likes this.
  6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome! It does get easier, Ana, for both you and Ian. You will gain confidence as you learn, and get more experienced. This is a wonderful resource.

Ana&Ian likes this.
  7. Ana&Ian

Ana&Ian New Member

Thanks! :D

Thanks so much! :) Luckily, I'm beginning to feel more confident administering shots. Wish us luck!

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! Your cats personality sounds so much like my Zimmy who I lost a year ago. He was more like a dog then a cat, and I swear understood everything we said. He played fetch with mini marshmallows. Lol

So glad you are going to home test. The cheapest place for alphatrak strips is amazon. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.