Hello!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Esi, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esi

Esi Member

Hello. I just joined after my boy, Hemingway (Hemi) was diagnosed last 8-3-2018. I am learning so much here and am so grateful to all of the wonderful members who put so much time and effort into helping others like me.

Thank you all!!!

I am an insulin dependant diabetic myself so I already have an extra human meter and decent supply of test strips I can use for him too. I am going to begin testing tonight to see where he is and hopefully be able to give him his first dose of Prozinc tomorrow AM. (It's supposed to arrive in the mail today but not sure if the syringes will be in the same package or not so might have to wait for them.)

But about my human meter...

Is there a conversion chart or even an estimate of the differences between the pet meters and human? Due to cost savings, I need to test with my Freestyle lite (insurance helps with strips) but I want to be able to tell my vet approx. what his #s are in pet meter #s.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hello. And, welcome! The human meter will read lower than a pet meter would. The difference is greater in the higher numbers. There is no exact formula for conversion.

Esi likes this.
  3. Esi

Esi Member

Thank you.

Do you know what the high/low numbers are supposed to be for each of the meters? I believe I read somewhere that it should be no lower than 50 and no higher than 120 - but I don't know if that was for a pet meter or human?

For myself, on my meter, my controlled (regulated) numbers are between 90 and 130. I'm wondering why such a big gap with pet diabetes? (Unless I'm wrong about those low/high numbers?)

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Esi likes this.
  5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB.

Esi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.