Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brodie's mom

Brodie's mom New Member

New Here- happy to have found this site as my kitty and I need lots of help. Just diagnosed with diabetes 2 months ago. My kitty Big Boy is 11 years old and weighs 19 pounds. Has been cut off dry food and I'm fortunate that the likes canned food. He's on Lantus and hasn't been regulated yet - still struggling with that, but I'm testing at home before giving shot.

beggargirl likes this.
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome to the board. We are happy that you are here and you will find lots of help and support. Please create a signature so your kitty's (Big Boy?) pertinent information will always be available to members when you post. Here's a link to how to do that: Signature
    I'm so happy to hear that you are home testing and helping to keep Big Boy safe. We use a spreadsheet to track the BG tests and insulin doses, and this is attached to the signature. This data is then used to determine how best to get Big Boy regulated. You will find the instructions to create the spreadsheet and information on understanding it here: Spreadsheet. If you have any difficulty getting that set up, just holler. We have members who can help.
    Please post in the Main Forum, this Introduction forum is like a welcome mat on the front porch and not as many members have the chance to monitor this area as well. In the Main Forum there will be many more eyes and therefore more responses to any questions and/or concerns. If Big Boy is your avatar, wow, he is elegant! :cat:

3. Brodie's mom

Brodie's mom New Member

Thank you Idjit's mom - I have a lot to learn yet on how to navigate in this site. I will follow your directions. Yes, Big Boy is my beautiful tux boy I rescued 6 years ago from the streets

4. Idjit's mom

Well, I think he's lovely, or very handsome if he's the macho type! LOL I have a 'big boy' too, and although he's a bed hog, I love him dearly. There is information to read in the Lantus forum, to get you started there. Please don't be afraid to post, ask questions. The community here is amazing and you will find what you need.

5. Brodie's mom

Brodie's mom New Member

He used to roam and get in fights, but no more. He’s on Prozac for his anxiousness for last year it has helped him relax- nobody can come near him but me so I’m worried about what to do if I have to be gone overnight. Makes it harder for me for his treatment. We’ll figure it out

6. Idjit's mom

Dora, I'm sure you are going to get a lot of response regarding times when you need to be gone overnight. There are lots of people who work different or long shifts here.
    Post in the Main Forum,
    explain the situation and you are going to get response. You are going to be asked what the dosage of Lantus Big Boy is getting, so you might as well put that in your signature, as well as what kind of food you are feeding him, as well as the Prozac and dosage he takes. You get two hard returns in the signature, so you can input quite a lot of information.
    Would you tell me who Brodie is?

7. Brodie's mom

Brodie's mom New Member

I will post more information. Thank you.
    Brodie is one of my kitties I lost a few years ago. He was 15 and he developed diabetes also for a short time, but there was something else going on because he stopped eating and didn’t have typical diabetic symptoms. He fought for 6 months with kidney disease- I miss him so much

8. Idjit's mom

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that. It's always so hard to lose one of our fur babies. We will work to help Big Boy feel better and relieve some of your concerns and worry. You may want to include that in your signature to clarify who Brodie is..for example: Brodie (GA) and whatever the year date was. The GA is "gone ahead".

9. Brodie's mom

Brodie's mom New Member

I have been so stressed but I’m so glad I’m getting so much information here. It’s not fun to have sick kitties. I have 4 other fur babies but they are all healthy right now. Thank you

10. Idjit's mom

I know it's stressful, but you must remember to breathe now, and relax a little bit. Get posting in the Main Forum and meet some of these amazing people!

11. Brodie's mom

Brodie's mom New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.