Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ragdoll12

Ragdoll12 New Member

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. Am the mother of a 12 year old female Ragdoll. Diagnosed in April 2018. Started Vetsuliin April 2018. Remission May 2018. Unfortunately, diabetes has returned. Now on Lantus. We are having much difficulty regulating her BG this time around. BG running 300s-500s. Most recently tried 2u BID, but BG dropped to 79 in the morning. Insulin dosages have been up and down. Currently on 1 1/2 units BID. Checking BG twice a day @ 7:00am and 7:00pm. Eats breakfast 7:00am, dinner 5:00pm and a small wet food snack @ 8:00 or 9:00pm. Found your group, hoping I can learn how to better manage her sugars. Wondering - what are the best times to check her sugar? I feel comfortable checking her fasting BG every morning, but what about the rest of the day?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Glad you have found us..
    Lantus is a good insulin for cats.
    We recommmend that you ALWAYS test before EVERY shot to ensure that the BSL is high enough to give the insulin.
    We also rcommmend that you test during the cycle to see how low the insulin is taking kitty (the nadir...the lowest point in the cycle) because we change the dose on what the nadir is NOT the preshot..
    A kitty can start off with a high number, get the insulin, drop low and go back up high by the end of the cycle. If you are not testing you would not know this is happening. So I would test preshot, around +4 and +6 at first. You can swap the times around you test, but generally it is in the first half of the cycle you will see the drop. If you can't get a mid cycle test in the pm cycle, always try and get a before bed test as cats often drop lower at night.
    A lot of us feed at preshot, around +3 and +6 ( or whatever times fits best with the drop in blood sugars. Also do this with the pm cycle. Divide the day's food up into smaller lots to feed. It is better for the pancreas to have smaller meals.

Here is a link to our spreadsheet.. if you fill in all your bloodsugars you have done...we will be able to help a lot more. If you have trouble setting it up,shout and we will help with it..
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/suggestions-tech-support-testing-area.6/

Also if you could fill out your signature, which is in the top right of this page under your user name, then save..
    Tell us yours andkitties name, date of diagnosis, type of insulin and dose, and glucose meter, any meds, any other illnesses, type of food fed..
    This will be read by people helping you and will save time asking questions every time.

Great you are testing .
    Ask lots of questions, we are very happy to help.
    When you've set up your SS and signature, you might like to postover on the main forum and tell us any concerns and get to know us. Again welcome!
    Here is the link to the main forum
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/

Bron

3. Ragdoll12

Ragdoll12 New Member

Hi Bron,
    So nice to meet you. I did fill out my personal information under my user name. Wondering why it did not show up at the bottom of my post? I'm going to check now. Thank you!

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I can see it. Great!

5. Ragdoll12

Ragdoll12 New Member

Thank you Bron,
    I figured out the signature - I had entered my information in the wrong section! Thanks for alerting me. I will take a look at the spreadsheet. Unfortunately, with regard to feeding, it would be impossible for us to consistently feed Nani small meals at regular times throughout the day since my husband and I both work. Thanks for your response and your advice. When I have time, I will post on the main forum as well.
    Renee

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you thought of a timed auto feeder. Many of us who work use those and they are a blessing. You just set the times you want it to open for both cycles and pop the wet food into the compartments and it opens on set times........to get Sheba used to it, I fed her all her meals in it so she knew what it was for..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.