Hello

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Batty, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batty

Batty New Member

Hi. My name is Jody and my cat, Draino was diagnosed today with diabetes. The diabetes is being caused by the steroid injections he's been getting for his asthma. Draino was washed out of a 2" drainage pipe when he was 2 days old. It was a really bad rainstorm and he was found in a puddle and rescued. I bottle fed him goats milk and he will be 9 yrs. this July. He also has mental problems we believe are due to lack of oxygen for too long. He is my cat from hell. I am a bit overwhelmed about what I've been trying to read. As a diabetic myself, I understand the disease. I am afraid I won't get this right for him and he will suffer. Thank you for this group and the information.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Does he let you handle him? We can help with learning to test him and dose

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Jody and Draino!
    There's tons of information and knowledgeable members here! :bighug:. If you could setup your signature with some information, it's helpful before posting on Main Health Forum: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

The majority of us are data driven and use spreadsheets to track our kitty's BG levels. All you need is a Google account, if you need help setting it up we have people to help: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

And I like to give this link to new members: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

See you on the Main Health Forum [​IMG]

4. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome Jody and Draino. I do understand your feelings about "getting this right" even though you already have an understanding of diabetes. Most of us began without more than a glimmer of information about human diabetes, much less feline diabetes. The basics are the same: proper diet, insulin therapy and blood glucose testing. You are obviously committed to Draino (what a wonderful rescue story) and are interested in providing the best care you can for him, otherwise you wouldn't be here researching.
    JanetNJ has asked an important question, does Draino allow you to handle him? We can help you begin to get Draino used to blood glucose testing using some tried and true methods, as well as suggestions for a proper diet and how to best use the insulin Draino has been prescribed.
    Going forward, please post in the Main Health forum so more members can read and offer help and advice. This forum is just the welcome mat and we want your questions, concerns and issues to get the attention they deserve. If you like, you can just copy your message here, start a new thread there and paste.
    There is a lot of information here on the board, and we will help you learn to navigate and learn what the next steps are, hopefully without you feeling completely overwhelmed. Let's just take this one step at a time, and when you have provided the information in the signature we can help with what's next.

5. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Welcome! Lots of support and knowledge here to help your fur baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.