Hello!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Breanna H, Dec 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breanna H

Breanna H Member

Hello! My name is Breanna and my 9 year old Male, Tigger was diagnosed with diabetes a week ago. He is a big boy in general, 19 pounds. He is part Maine Coon we believe, so he is only about 3 pounds over what he should be. I first noticed issues when litter was clumping to his feet and he was tracking it everywhere. Then empting large clumps out multiple times a day and increased water intake. At the vet, his blood glucose was 367. She said to switch to hard diabetic food and to inject 2u every 12 hours of Prozinc, no testing needed. So of course, I started immediately thinking this was best. Then I began researching and called her back with questions about testing and switching to wet food. She dismissed that. I have plans on switching vets. And then I found you all! Thank God because I am starting to feel slightly less lost.
    I have stopped insulin for now (he only got about 3 days worth of doses), switched to Fancy Feast Classic Pates and ordered a human BG machine.
    I am going to start a spreadsheet tonight and see where he is at.
    I'm wondering since he was only 367 at the vet, could switching from his high carb dry food to wet food be all he needs?
    If he is tracking high after a few days of the wet food, how do I know what dose of his Prozinc to give? Because from what I've been reading starting at 2u is not a good idea.
    Also, how long until I can notice a decrease in urine production? The clumps of litter in his paws is just awful! :(
    Thank you, thank you, thank you all! This is literally a life saver and I never imagined finding such a wealth of information. I feel so relieved having a resource other than my vet.

Attached Files:

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome. Good for you for doing the research and pushing for testing. And yes, switching to low carb wet food does affect numbers.

The members have put together a vet interview check list. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/vet-interview-screening-topics-check-list.156663/
    Be sure to click on the Vet Interview Topics which is specific to feline diabetes.

You will not know until you start testing if a switch to wet food is all it takes. Meanwhile, this is only a welcome forum. Come over to the Feline Health Forum and post there where members experienced with Prozinc will see your post. A number of people here use or have used Prozinc. We can help with that, give you testing tips, and help, if needed, to the transition of wet food.

(You may have to wait a few minutes to post - the delay is to try to keep out spammers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.