Help appreciated...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by 4Chuckie, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

Hi members...

This is Chuckie’s mom, and would like opinions or guidance... My cat 12 year old male- just diagnosed approx 9 days ago with diabetes. Was on 2.5 units. The vet said to give it 14 days to see any change. I haven’t seen any change. Today I took him in to have her show me some of the home testing... I told her no change he’s still peeing large amounts and is RAVENOUS!. She told me to up the dosage starting tonight to 5 units... I am a bit nervous about the big change any advice? anyone have same experiences? What exactly should I look for? Thanks so much!

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome!

Such a big increment is really not recommended and could potentially be VERY DANGEROUS especially if you are not testing at home, increments are usually given in 0.25 units increments there's the risk of him having a hypoglycemic (very low blood sugar level) episode and that could be fatal so please consider to start testing at home first so that you can really know what his blood glucose levels are before doing such a drastic change.

To get a cat regulated usually takes a long time sometimes even months, is hard to say what is going on with your cat without knowing what his blood glucose levels are, has a curve been made? What insulin are you using? Does he has any other health issues?

He will continue to be very thirsty and hungry until he gets regulated the high glucose levels in his blood are not allowing his cells to get the proper nutrients that's the reason why he's so hungry and his body is trying to get rid of the extra glucose that's why he's drinking and peeing a lot

The best way to know what's going on and how to adjust the dose is to home test you can use a human or pet glucose meter, most people here use a human meter because is more easily available and the test strips (which you will need a lot ) are cheaper

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a big increase! Did she show you how to home test? I would not raise his dose to 5U unless I was home testing and could monitor for a hypo. What type of insulin is he on? Do you know what his blood glucose was at the vet's?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to FDMB!:)
    I agree I would definitely not raise the dose from 2.5 to 5 units in one go.
    As the others have said...going up in 0.25 units at a time and holding the dose for three days and testing is the way to go.
    I don't think your vet is very experienced with feline diabetes.
    If he's hungry feed him more until he is better regulated. When they have a lot of glucose in their system, they can't absorb the nutrients in the food.
    Best thing you can do is to start testing the blood glucose to see what the insulin is doing with the blood sugar and it will keep your kitty safe.
    You have come to the best place for help.
    Keep asking questions. It is a steep learning curve.:)

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. Thankfully you are here and will get help. First thing tomorrow I would be looking for a new vet. Sorry to be so blunt. That’s a huge dose increase. Which insulin are you using?

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That's a scary increase! Please don't do it. The MOST a dose should be raised at a time is half a unit. You would really be putting your cat at risk.

2.5 units is a huge starting dose. The recommended starting dose is 1 unit twice a day. I'm sorry to say your vet is not being safe with your cat at all.

Can we help you learn to test at home?

Please today go to Walmart and get the following items

1. Relion micro or confirm meter or some other brand that requires a 0.3 size sample

2. Box of 100 extra test strips

3. Box of 26 or 28 gauge lancets

4. Cotton cosmetic rounds

5. Neosporin ointment with pain relief

6. A treat for you

I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

7. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

Thank you Veronica

8. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

Thank you Veronica. I appreciate the advice. Will do.
    Chuckie’s Mom

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
  9. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

10. 4Chuckie

4Chuckie New Member

Thanks Everyone for the words of advice. I am sorting it all out. Chuckie is on Vetsulin he started with 2.5 units.... Yesterday at the vet his ear stick was approx 436... my machine a prodigy read 396... so I may get a different machine- trying to read on here what the best one is... Part of the reason I am so overwhelmed by all of this is that at the same time one of our other cats, Spencer (we have 3- and a dog!) became very sick- and I am trying to deal with his issues and care as well...and learn everything to be able to take good care of Chuckie. i think I would be dealing better if I wasn’t worried sick about 2 boys at the same time! Such is life, right? Anyway- thank you all so much for the advice.
    Has anyone ever heard to the prodigy? Also- I see the Relion mentioned a lot here- is there a huge difference between the reading of that and the Alpha Trak? (is that correct)...
    Chuckie is on Vetsulin. I did not increase the dose to 5 units last night- I only gave 3... I am going to brave the home testing today after watching the videos... I had a brother who had diabetes his entire lifetime...so I totally get the importance of testing... I will be watching videos and Chuckie and I will figure it out.
    Thanks again to all of you. I hope one day to be offering advice to someone instead of feeling desperation! lol
    Hugs!
    Toni

11. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

All human meters read lower than a pet meter. In addition meters have up to a 20% allowable varience. The difference you got from your vet is nothing.

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Many of us here use the Relions because the protocols were formed with human meters and they keep our pets safe without spending a lot on the test strips. My IM vet had never used one but had no issues with it and eventually we rarely talked dose since Max had so many other issues he managed. The only curve done by the vet was after his first shot. I did send him his spreadsheet every few weeks.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  13. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Don't worry about asking or just making comments we get it it is hard enough to deal with diabetes alone without other complications like your other sick kitty, we send you all :bighug::bighug::bighug:

And please feel free to ask all you want/need

14. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.