HELP! BG 208 with still nearly 5 hours for next shoot!!!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Matt & Maus, Jan 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt & Maus

Matt & Maus Member

I don't know if I should feed and give insulin much sooner!

Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

No, don't give more insulin until it's time.

You can feed up until 2 hours before shot time but if the last shot is already wearing off, it may be better not to because that's just adding food which can slam the brakes on any remaining action of the insulin

Jennifer R. and Matt & Maus like this.
  3. Matt & Maus

Matt & Maus Member

Keep testing?

4. Chris & China (GA)

I don't think it's really necessary....just test as usual before shot time

Matt & Maus likes this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Matt --

What you're seeing is a bounce. It's likely that Maus' body is reacting to the 93 -- your kitty isn't used to being in normal BG numbers. As a result, if numbers drop low, drop fast, or drop into a range your cat is no longer. used to, the liver and pancreas "panic" and start pumping out a stored form of glucose along with counterregulatory hormones which cause BG numbers to spike upward. This is a normal phenomenon and, in fact protective but it is highly annoying to the human part of the team. It can take up to 3 days/6 cycles for the bounce to clear.

6. Matt & Maus

Matt & Maus Member

I am just freaking out because of the high numbers the past couple of days. Truthfully, I am not even sure what number is the one to panic from. I don't really mean this, but I almost liked it better when I was oblivious and just following the vet's protocol. I am a worrier! lol Thank you!

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Maus' numbers are actually good. Take a look at some other spreadsheets so you have a context.

8. Kerri & Tigger

Kerri & Tigger Member

You are so awesome for finding all this good help for Maus. I'm so very new here myself, but I can see: these folks know their stuff! And you are so committed to your sweet Maus--you'll get things all worked out! Can't wait for you to learn what Maus' real cat personality is like. Super lucky kitty, to have you!

Matt & Maus likes this.
  9. Matt & Maus

Matt & Maus Member

Thank you, you are far too kind. Yes, this is a great place with lots of helpful people, wish I would have found it months ago. I need to learn to worry less, because that doesn't help any one. I do love all my cats, and I feel so helpless when I can't "make it all better." I really appreciate your kind words!

Kerri & Tigger likes this.
  10. Matt & Maus

Matt & Maus Member

Don't try to confuse me with logic! (lol) Makes sense, I will do that (and try to panic less).

Kerri & Tigger likes this.
  11. Chris & China (GA)

Under 50 on a human meter is your "time to act" (not "time to panic"!) Giving a little gravy from a high carb food like Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers or adding a few drops of Karo/honey/syrup to regular food usually brings them back up nicely.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Matt I agree with Sienne.
    Maus’s numbers are good with just a little bounce.
    We all worry about our kitties, so you are not on your own but you and Maus are doing fine. He is responding well to the insulin.

Matt & Maus likes this.
  13. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Right there with ya!
    But (because I’m also still learning)
    Having the BG be 208 isn’t that high right? Mimi always has numbers in those ranges, I believe it’s the 300s and 400s you want to worry about. Whenever I see 200s I just wait out the 6 cycles and adjust based on what the nadirs say- if she hasn’t seen any green in those time frames (3 days) then I ask on here and usually she will get an increase or a decrease (if she saw numbers under 50).
    Are you following TR?

Matt & Maus likes this.
  14. Mimis mom

Would you say karo onto their regular food is just as effective as the HC food? Meaning you’re sort of “making your own” HC. I can understand if the karo was given alone but when it’s added. (I ask because my cat is only on raw and I’d like to stick with raw)
    how many drops would you say he add?

15. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, but one thing to always remember is that simple sugars like Karo/honey/syrup get into the bloodstream quickly but they also wear off quickly. You must continue to test for at least 2 hours from the time you have to use anything HC. If they drop back below 50 again, that 2 hour clock starts over.

Usually start with a few drops...it's also good to follow up with protein because the simple sugar will bring them up quickly...the protein slowly breaks down into glucose but lasts a lot longer.....but you don't want to feed them so much that they won't eat later on IF you need them to

Jennifer R. likes this.
  16. Mimis mom

Im wondering how I make my own MC/HC concoction. What do they put into the canned HC that make it that- grains? sugars? Does that make sense? Like whatever they're doing is fat protein and then fillers of some kind- what are they using, maybe its the same as honey or karo. (also, sorry to invade the thread)

Jennifer R. likes this.
  17. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

You got this, Matt! Maus is in very good hands with you, and you are getting some great advice here.

The higher numbers are a puzzle, for sure, but there's no immediate danger from them. Over long periods of time, yes, high numbers will cause damage, but not over a few days/weeks. It's just really hard seeing them in higher numbers, I know, but you guys are doing great overall!

Matt & Maus likes this.
  18. Mimis mom

wouldn't that be amazing if Vets actually recommended this site to all newly diagnosed kittens??!?!?? If only..

Matt & Maus likes this.
  19. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

It's usually the "gravy" or other sauces that pack in the carbs, so probably the thickeners (flour or similar) are the main culprits. But it could be all kinds of things depending on the food, and it's not necessarily a secondary add-on. I've seen cat food that contains ingredients like potatoes, for example (trying to make it sound more appealing to the human buying it, I guess!)

Jennifer R. and Mimis mom like this.
  20. Mimis mom

Ill pour the gravy on top of her raw formula then! haha, done and DONE. Now, on to the next stressful worry I will have.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  21. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

If only there were enough volunteers here to help all those new members that found us! Some vets do recommend the FDMB message board, some people find us through the facebook version of the message board and get sent here.

Mimis mom and Matt & Maus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.