Help! Boomer +2.5 = 50!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

What's going on??? He's been eating a lot tonight and I tested him and he's 50!!! OMG. I did give him a little more than .25 but less than .5 and now this. Do I need to prepare for a hypo? He's got a great appetite. I've given him LCW and he's chowing.

Help!!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re-test in 15 min. and post. If he drops into the 40s, you can feed HC.

3. Traci and Boomer

Okay. Will do. Stay tuned.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Keep the numbers in your subject line. I'm testing w/ Gabby -- her #s are even lower than Boomer's right now.

5. Traci and Boomer

Re: Help! Boomer +2.5 = 50, +3=63

Any thoughts on this number? He ate an entire can of FF. Should I give more?

Sienne- I can't believe her numbers are that low. I looked at your SS and was confused why you didn't give her insulin tonight. Wow, it's a good thing you didn't if she's below 50!

6. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Breath! You can retest in 30 minutes. Remember if he is dropping, Rinse, Lather, Repeat. He is okay at 63 IMHO. Just be sure and retest. The number is rising. When is his nadir?

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Thanks for catching the blank dose on my SS. I shot.

These numbers are fine! Don't overfeed. I probably wouldn't give more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a can at a time. You need to balance the line between giving food to keep Boomer surfing but not so much that if you need to give HC he won't be hungry. (Does that make sense?) Everyone gets panicky with low numbers the first couple of times. You'll see how easy it is to manage those numbers with food. Remember, you get to decrease the dose if numbers are less than 50 so you don't want to jack up the numbers if Boomer is really needing less juice. No panic! Boomer isn't symptomatic -- just hungry!

8. Traci and Boomer

Hmmm... so you think this is no biggie - even though his this low, this early? Won't he get too low later? He just ate another pouch.

What's Gabby at?

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Sienne and Barbara are giving good advice, try not to give too much food all at once because you want to be sure he is still a little bit hungry in case you need to feed him again later.

He got a good bump from the low carb food. Please test again in an hour so we can see if he is leveling out yet.

You're doing a great job!

10. Traci and Boomer

Re: Help! Boomer +3.25=72

He's up some more. Holy crap. That 50 totally freaked me out.
    He seems different tonight. Not bad, just different.
    He's eating SO much!
    I need to go to bed. Is it safe? I'm beat. I did this last night with my mother's cat except that was a real hypo.
    His nadir seems to be (recently) between +4 and +6. nailbite_smile

11. Traci and Boomer

Libby-

I didn't see your post. Okay. I'll go to bed and get back up. OMG. My life is crazy! :lol:

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Once you calm down (lol!!), take a look at Moonie's condo from today. There's a beautiful green surf in lovely 50 - 80 numbers. The more times Boomer visits these green numbers, the more his system gets used to being in a normal BG range. That's how his pancreas heals and his liver stops getting panicky with low numbers (i.e., less bouncing). It's one of those things that you have to wrap your head around given that vets will warn you about a hypo crisis. All of the research with Lantus is based on our kitties earning decreases by having numbers in the 40s (or lower if a longer term FD). That research would never see the light of day if it was causing hypos.

Gabby's surfing in the 50s. I tested every 15 min. to make sure she's out of the 30s and I'll start testing every 30 min. now to make sure she doesn't drop again.

13. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

you can test in 1/2 hour, and if he's still rising significantly then it should be safe to go to bed. He ate a lot and that should bump him a lot, but we do want to be sure there is some kind of real rise happening and not just a food spike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.