Help - Boomer is now refusing food w/ enzymes!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I am postiong here on the off chance that someone may know about EPI. Boomer is now refusing to eat food with enzymes in it. I feel like I'm going to have a break down. He's only 7.6 pounds - I NEED him to eat desperately. I feel like I'm running out of time. He will eat food with nothing added, so I know that he smells/tastes the stuff. I read on the website that I am attaching that I could get my powder put into capsules at a compounding pharmacy. Will it work this way? This website seems to suggest it will. What about buying Pancrezyme in pre-made pills? Why do they sell this stuff in pill form if it doesn't work/no one can use it? Which would be better a coated pill or trying to get my powder compounded? Any ideas?

Thank you for any help or suggestions; I am desperate and both vets are not working tomorrow. I will call the referral hospital to try to get help tomorrow too.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ex ... ficie.html

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Traci:

Will he eat food with FortiFlora mixed in? Also, do you have an appy stimulant? It may be that you need to use something to get him used to eating food that tastes/smells different. What about putting some tuna water in his food or bonito/tuna flakes? I suspect that will mask the smell of pretty much anything!

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

whenever i have to add anything to food for my kitties, i start out with a very, very small amount and then gradually add more until i get to the required dose. they don't seem to notice it as much. might be worth trying with boomer?

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Jess mentioned that he could eat actual pancreas. You might try to find a butcher that could save you a few to try.

5. Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout

Deanie and Boo (GA) and Scout Well-Known Member

You can do that yourself. Just buy some empty capsules and fill them with the powder.

6. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

:dizcat (((Traci & Boomer))) It seems like everyday there is a new challenge for the two of you & my heart aches. I will admit, I do not know anything about the enzymes - if it is in a power form, can you mix it with water & syringe it down Boom Boom? I dunno, may not even be an option at all - but I am dropping thru to support & encourage you both.. hoping each day gets easier & Boomer gets healthy :YMHUG:

7. Traci and Boomer

Yup-that's what I'm going to try next. I found that they sell capsules in Whole Foods so I'm going to buy them and try. This stuff is toxic (of course) LOL, but I'll buy gloves, etc.

8. Traci and Boomer

Hi Nicole-

LOL, diabetes is a walk in the park compared to this sh*t. I think I'm on the right track now with giving him capsules filled with the stuff. You can't do water with it because it causes mouth ulcers-it has to go down the throat right away. As long as he gets this he'll be okay, he's not terminal, but he needs this powder in order to get nutrients and absorb food.

9. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Any update? Is he eating? Did you get enzymes down him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.