HELP CANT AFFORD PROZINC

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by dana321, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dana321

dana321 New Member

I HAVE A MALE 11 YO CAT. HES THE LOVE OF MY LIFE. LAST NOVEMBER (2016) HE WAS AT DEATHS DOOR. BETWEEN THEN N NOW IVE GOT HIS INSULIN (PROZINC) AT 6 UNITS EVERY 12 HOURS. I AM UNABLE TP CONTINE PAYING THE EXTREME COST FOR PROZINC AS WELL AS THE NUMEROUS VET VISITS I.E. NO VISIT NO INSULIN. IS THERE AN OVER THE COUNTER INSULIN THAT IS COMPARABLE TO USE I AM UNWILLING TO GO THE ALTERNATIVE MEANING WELL U KNOW BUT NEED HELP. WHAT DO I DO? OH HIS INSULIN IS 40 UNIT INSULIN

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hi Dana and welcome! One thing to consider would be home testing if you aren't already doing that. If you test blood glucose at home, you won't need to go to the vet so often. If you are able to test regularly, we can help you figure out dosing and make adjustments as needed. Are you already home testing? If not, is it something you would be willing to consider?

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Welcome! I think we can help get you on track. Yes, ProZinc is expensive but your kitty is on an awfully high dose. Most cats need only 2 to 3 units twice a day unless they have some other medical issues going on.
    • What dose did your vet start him on last November?
    • How often was the dose raised and by what amount each time? I ask because it's sometimes raised too quickly and by too much resulting in an overdosed cat. Too much, as well as too little, insulin can cause high blood glucose values.
    • Have these doses all been determined by getting a curve done by the vet? If so you should know that vet stress usually causes elevated blood glucose readings and a dose decided on from these readings is osten too high.
    • Once you learn to test blood glucose at home you can do your own curve and save a lot of money.
    • Not all vets require a vet visit in order to renew an insulin prescription.

StephG and Wesley and Spicoli like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.