HELP! Chester's Morning Dose Due Soon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jaye and Chester, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

For those who have followed my recent Chester issues, I'm quickly finding that you were right! :eek: :?

He had, numbers-wise, a beautiful night after I had lowered the does to 4.25 but now it's shot time in one hour and he's only 225 (on Levemir). I'm afraid to shoot too high, but also scared to shoot too low. I'm thinking 3 units and leave out food for him. What do you think? He gets his shot at 5:30...only an hour from now.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi there

the 225 is actually your +11 then?
    Then it should go in the +11 cell at the end of last nite.

when do you leave after shot time (AMPS)?

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Previous thread
    viewtopic.php?f=28&t=24322&p=244414#p244414

when you have your AMPS, please report that number- I'm not able to be here - but others will, and I will cross post this thread to the Lantus/Lev forum as well to help get you eyes.

If you are still home for a bit after your AMPS, you'll want to get an out the door test if you can, leaving plenty of food out for him.

4. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

It was actually my +11.5 because I'm feeding him now and give his shot immediately after. So his shot will be at about 5:20. I leave the house at 6:30. I'm thinking of 3 units and leave out food for him.

5. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Just checked again and he's 341 so I feel a little safer leaving him. I'm thinking of shooting 3.75. Have to make a decision SOON!

6. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I just saw this post....it looks like you already shot.
    You can always go up for the pm shot. I think Chester will be fine today. :mrgreen:

7. Jaye and Chester

Jaye and Chester Member

Thank you. I shot lower than I was comfortable with, but also higher than I was comfortable with...meaning that I'm going to spend the day not comfortable at all! :shock:

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I realize you've shot already. I really want to encourage you to decide on a dose you feel comfortable shooting consistently twice a day. IMHO, the best way to become comfortable with the numbers is to be able to have the data in order to be able to give a shot. That may mean starting a little lower and gradually increasing so you see the patterns and have a better sense of how Chester will respond. If I had to play a hunch, I would bet that Chester will have a bounce from the blue numbers last night. By reducing his AM dose, it's going to make it harder for him to bring those numbers down.

It's hard when you're not going to be home to shoot and have to leave. I don't know if shifting his shot time is possible for you. If you can get an additional test or two in before you leave, you may feel better about where his numbers are going.

Regarding your question about posting in either the Lantus or Lev forums, I can't speak for the Lev group. In Lantus, you would simply copy and paste the link to your Health threads. People will go back and read. If you take a look on the Lantus board, Ronnie already posted a note that you were looking for input on your AM dose and linked this thread. Just so you are aware, there are many Lev users who regularly post on the Lantus board.

9. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Here's Ronnie's post in Lantus: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24418

I hear you, Jaye. Donovan spent so much time in higher numbers initially on Vetsulin that I truly panicked when I had to shoot lower ones on Levemir. The first time is the hardest. Feel free to post on the Lantus group -- Like Sienne said, there are Levemir users there too. Just indicate in your subject line or signature that Chester is on Levemir and not Lantus. We'll get you through this.

MJ&Donovan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.