Help! Dosing advice needed for Mom's cat Francis!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

For about a week or so Francis has been on a "fat zero" (with the help of LL'ers) and last night he got a 50 on this dose. I think this means he can do an OTJ trial, right?
    She can test morning and evening every day and weekends more.
    Can someone tell me what the number goals are for an OTJ trial so I can tell my mom?

2. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

it's hard to say without knowing the rest of the numbers, but if he has been under 100-120 pretty much all the time for a week, then he could try an OTJ trial.

Here are the instructions I give to the kitties here:

Test at your normal AMPS and PMPS times. Feed multiple small meals throughout the day as much as possible (small meals are less likely to overwhelm a newly functioning pancreas).

If he is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time, just feed small meals and go about your day. If he is blue, feed a small meal and test again after about 3 hours. If his number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then his pancreas is working!

Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. It is not unusual for cats to get lots of blue during their trial, especially at first. Don't panic and don't shoot unless we tell you to.

After 14 days of no insulin, we can call him OTJ!

Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens, we just give him the support he needs. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.

Since your mom won't be posting, I guess the thing to tell her is that if he starts getting a lot of blue, or if he gets to high blue and doesn't come down after food, to let us know.

3. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Libby-

Thanks so much for that info. I will call her and read it to her. I'll also try to get her to call me daily with his numbers for the countdown! Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.