? HELP! DOSING ADVICE PROZINC 1

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bear & Lora, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

I just pre- shot tested my cat Bear and it was 87. I immediately fed him. I am scared to death to give him any insulin with an 87. This is probably a good thing but I am at a loss as to what to do if anything. Can anyone help me?

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Do not shoot. At this early stage in the FD dance 87 is too low to shoot.from the prozinc stickie:

• The proper sequence for dosing insulin is: Test/Feed/Shoot. In the beginning, if your cat’s BG is not up to at least 200 mg/dL {11 mmol/L}, if your schedule allows, you can stall (without feeding) for 20+minutes, then retest the BG. You are looking for a number that is rising, not falling and up to 200 mg/dL {11 mmol/L}. If you stall once, but can’t do another round of stalling and your cat hasn’t reached a BG of 200 mg/dL {11 mmol/L}, you’ll need to skip the dose and wait until the next cycle. NOTE: Because pet-specific meters (such as the AlphaTrak2) often read higher than human meters, you may want to adjust the NO-SHOOT number to 225 mg/dL {12.5 mmol/L} or even 250 mg/dL {14 mmol/L} This gives you an added margin of safety when using an AlphaTrak2 or other pet-specific meter.
    • IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not feed your cat within the two-hour window right before the scheduled dose time; doing this can raise your cat’s blood significantly, giving you a higher BG number based on food. This could result in your giving insulin when you should not, or giving more insulin than you should.

3. Red & Rover (GA)

By morning, Bear's numbrs may be very high. Ask for dosing advice. Bear's dosage may be too much and need a reduction.
    Sorry about typos, wonky keyboard.

4. Bear & Lora

I have not given him any insulin, but I did feed him right after I tested him?

5. Bear & Lora

I am using a relion micro.

6. Bear & Lora

His numbers are usually high in the morning. Should I set an alarm and retest in 3 hours. i am so new to this. I feel like a fish on the shore floundering as how to safely manage Bear at this point.

7. Red & Rover (GA)

Gdt a test in now (which will be food influenced) and if number is definitey higher, you can have an unintrrupted sleep.

Do get a +11 in the a.m. and post here and in Prozinc forum for advice on how toproceed.

You are doing good.
    sAnd will get the hang of and confidence in no time.

8. Red & Rover (GA)

Off to bed. Late for me. Holler if you run into problem.

In p.m. column of spreadseet,
    type in NS (no shot).

9. Bear & Lora

Your new message hadn't shown up. I thought you were already in bed. I just tested. He is at 379.
    I went as quickly as I could. Blood shook all over.

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It looks like 3u is too much insulin. Thank heavens you're testing at home! It would be helpful if you included his date of diagnosis in the grey signature text. I also recommend that you post for help on the ProZinc forum. You might need to drop his dose going forward to avoid a situation like last night's. :)

Bear & Lora and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Lora! Wow! That's quite the heart stopping moment when you get your first green number! So glad @Red & Rover (GA) was here to help you out. You were in good hands and you handled it just fine!

As mentioned, now that you're over the initial hump of being able to post consistently and have your spreadsheet etc. it's time for you to move over to the ProZinc forum where there are a great group of folks to help you adjust Bear's dose and get him regulated. :D

Bear & Lora and Red & Rover (GA) like this.
  12. Red & Rover (GA)

How are the two of you doing this morning?
    Please do not think that the 87 was a one-time, wonky anomaly. It is a sign that the dose is too high.

Again, apologies for the wonky keyboard, slight delays, and short-ish replies last night. I was in bed with an old, only good for netflix laptop on which the ghijkl do not work.

13. Bear & Lora

No need to apologize. I was so glad you were up and replied. I was in a panic. Thank you for your help. :)

14. Bear & Lora

I will definitely go to the prozinc forum. I know Bear is on a pretty high daily dose from what I have seen to compare. I certainly wasn't prepared for a green number right before his shot was due, after only four days of home testing, Thank you Linda, you are fabulous!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  15. Bear & Lora

I have one of the most chaotic schedules and households I have ever had in my lifetime. I am my mother's caregiver and we have nurses in everyday along with shower aids and mom's health has taken a turn for the worst. Next week will probably bring appointments with Cardiovascular Dr and Infectious Disease Dr along with her regular wound care Dr.

I am fitting Bear's needs as best I can and have done some all nighters with him when he was vomiting and feeling like crap. To say the least my schedule i know upside down.

I just posted on the Proinc forum. Bear pre-shot tested 317 BG. I am waiting for advice on how much to reduce him. Thank you so much for responding last night, you saved my sanity. Bear is so important to me and my heart.

16. Bear & Lora

Yes, thank heaven Bear's name hasn't been added to a fatality list of poor kitties. I posted on the prozinc forum and am just waiting for a response. Bear was diagnosed 8-16-18. I have only been doing home testing for 4 days.

17. Kris & Teasel

I'll go over to look at your Prozinc forum post.

18. Bear & Lora

I don't think anyone is online that can help. If I don't hear from anyone I am going to take a best guess and give him 2 units. Sadly I am already so late (2 & 1/2 hours late) for his insulin shot.

19. Kris & Teasel

I just answered on the ProZinc forum. Giving 2 u is a good call. You're late so will have to back track to the normal dose time. ProZinc has up to about an hour's flexibility so you can move the time back 1 hour tomorrow at the first dose, another hour at the second dose and the last half hour at the third. If that makes you nervous, you can move back in five half hour increments over the next five doses.

20. Bear & Lora

@Djamila HELP! DOSING ADVICE PROZINC 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.