? HELP!! First glucose test

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by GinnyBarr, Apr 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Lol...well, bless her heart! Do keep monitoring (and entering the numbers in the spreadsheet), because while her numbers are good, they do still have a little room to improve. At those numbers, some kitties will naturally start going down into the "green" numbers, while other kitties will slowly start to rise again. Fingers crossed she just keeps improving!

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree. She's riiiiiiight on the edge, there-- a hair over the top of the range of normal, but pretty far above where most non-diabetic cats hang out (50's-80's). She may need some more insulin support, but wait and see. If you do re-start insulin, I'd do it at a smaller dose than 1.0U, and start on a day (preferably a couple days, like over a weekend) where you can monitor throughout.

But, she's looking pretty good, and who knows, she might decide to keep moving downwards all on her own! Let's hope!

3. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Been so busy at work. This is my first free moment. Her numbers were 145 last night and 151 this morning. That's the highest morning number so far. Should I give her some insulin? Everyone says only if she's over 200. Help.

4. Djamila

I think this question would be best for the Lantus forum so you get responses from people who are experts in your insulin and could guide you through how to safely give a low dose. There are tons of people that frequent that forum, so you'll probably get a response fairly quickly.

GinnyBarr likes this.
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I think it was safe to skip shot since she was under 200, until we get more data :). Will you be able to get any mid-cycle tests today?

6. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Yes Yong. I'm gonna do every 3 hours instead of 2. That's what I was told. Ty for responding. I'm not getting as much from the Lantus forum :( Only one person has responded to me.

7. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Just did a test. 175 :(

8. Yong & Maury GA

When did she last eat? That's only a tiny increase, and with variation, the same number :bighug:

9. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

She ate right after her morning test. She munched on and off for an hour or so. I would say she hadn't eaten for an hour maybe an hour and a half. Should I fast her before the mid cycle test?

10. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry-- it's been kind of a weird day on Lantus, maybe because it's the weekend and (at least here) the first nice one at the end of winter, but I haven't seen any of the super-experienced folks around yet. I haven't seen enough cats come through in your situation to be able to confidently suggest a dose with numbers around 150-- now, if she'd shown that 175 at pre-shot, I might have been willing to try, arrgggh!

I'll keep an eye on your post today and tomorrow, and if I see some of the people who are really good at this kind of thing starting to show up on the forum, I'll flag them down to try to get some input.

11. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

You are so helpful. Thank you. I really appreciate all the help. Idk what I'd do without you guys. I understand it's the weekend, plus it's spring break for most ppl in the US.

12. Yong & Maury GA

No, no need to fast her :). You want to know how she does on usual feeding schedule / eating habbit. Just considering if she did eat something, that's where the 20 point rise came from. Nothing to be concerned about. I do still think she may need a tiny dose but this is all good data! Like Nan said, hopefully one of the super-experienced Lantus members will chime in. We're having some nice weather today and early this week so I'm sure people are enjoying it!

GinnyBarr likes this.
  13. Djamila

I think this will be really helpful data for the Lantus folks to have in giving you advice about how to proceed. It looks like she might benefit from a little boost for awhile so her pancreas can get fully functioning again. They'll be able to guide you through that safely. I'm sorry the board is a little slow today. Normally it's hopping over there!

GinnyBarr likes this.
  14. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

I don't blame them :) I'll keep posting. I'll post again tonight in the Lantus forum.

Djamila likes this.
  15. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ok. I'll wait, patiently, lol. I'll try to post again tonight :)

Djamila likes this.
  16. Djamila

I just commented on your Lantus posts to bump it closer to the top of the list. Don't know if that will help any...It's not an urgent question since you aren't shooting this cycle anyway, but didn't want it to get too buried.

17. GinnyBarr

GinnyBarr Member

Ty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.