Help For Molly

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adrienne & Molly (GA), Feb 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The food will probably have raised her BG. It's worth getting a number though. If you haven't given insulin she should be OK this afternoon while you're out. Deep breaths! This WILL settle down in time but you WILL need to up your testing game. We've seen this situation so often here on FDMB: kitty on ever higher doses of insulin with seemingly no or little effect, owner changes the food to all low carb wet, kitty's BG dives, owner has a very stressful period to get through but is finally successful. :)

2. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it was accurate. Good for you getting another test. My guess is we'll suggest a drop to 1 u tonight but we need to know specifically what she's eating. Do your insulin syringes have half unit marks on them? I think you told us previously but I don't recall what you said.

I'll be leaving home in about an hour for a few hours. Will check here before I leave and when I get home. Molly will be fine.

3. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

I give her the SO in the morning and the fancy feast for lunch and supper diluted with water. 1/2 cup of the dry and her freeze dried treats.

4. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Yes, the syringes have half units on them. She was pretty hungry this morning. I think she ate all her dry food for today.

5. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

I’m not giving her insulin this morning. Wow that really woke me up this morning. Then I couldn’t get on here for some reason. Said data error more stress added on great lol! I’m happy you were on here this morning

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: spelling mista
  6. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I've had a few difficulties getting onto FDMB recently. Don't know why.

Yes - exciting times for you! :eek: It's a definite sign of progress though so focus on that. I asked about the half units because you're going into a time now where you'll likely need them. Your dose changes will be no bigger than 0.25 u so you'll have to get good at eyeballing if you need to give 1.25 u for example.

Re food: the greatly reduced amount of S/O is driving this drop in BG. Continue with the weaning of S/) both wet and dry. The freeze dried treats are fine so give them whenever you want. If she's hungry feed her snacks of Fancy Feast. I suggest you buy a couple of cans of Fancy Feast that has gravy. They'll be useful if you need to "steer" her BG with higher carb food. The wet S/O would also be good for that.

7. Kris & Teasel

The black to green says she's now bouncing strongly from the 2 u dose combined with the food change. Here's something I wrote a long time ago to explain bouncing. It explains why a kitty's BG can go from low to sky high:
    1. BG goes low OR lower than usual OR drops too quickly.
    2. Kitty's body panics and thinks there's danger (OMG! My BG is too low!).
    3. Complex physiologic processes take glycogen stored in the liver (I think of it as "bounce fuel"), convert it to glucose and dump it into the bloodstream to counteract the perceived dangerously low BG.
    4. These processes go into overdrive in kitties who are bounce prone and keep the BG propped up varying lengths of time (AKA bouncing).
    5. Bounce prone kitty repeats this until his body learns that healthy low numbers are safe. Some kitties are slow learners.
    6. Too high a dose of insulin can keep them bouncing over and over until the " bounce fuel" runs out and they crash - ie., have a hypo episode. That's why we worry so much about kitties that have had too high a dose prescribed by the vet and the owner isn't home testing (or testing enough).

8. Kris & Teasel

I'm back. How is Molly doing? Also - I suggest you start a new thread again because we're on page 2 now. You could call it Help for Molly 2.

9. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

She’s sleeping went right to bed. I’ve checked on her a couple times. I’m leaving in a hour. Kinda hoping she gets up soon. I’ll start a new thread

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

When you have time, add that BG of 6.4 to your SS. Linda must be busy with other things today. She usually pops in regularly when she's at home.

11. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

I’ve updated the SS also she got up. I hit her vein I’m starting a new thread now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.