Help for regaining kitty's trust!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BrendaLovesArti, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrendaLovesArti

BrendaLovesArti New Member

Hello to all,
    This is a cry for help since I'm getting kind of desperate.
    My parents went away on a trip for 10 days and for various reasons we decided to move Artemisa to my home, which we had never done (when she wasn't sick, my grandma, me and a neighbour alternated daily visits to feed and check on her and our other kitties).
    The original plan was to bring her here on the weekend prior to their trip and to spend most of it with her here. However, my parents ended up bringing her here on Saturday night and on Sunday the whole family came, including people she had never met, and she ended up feeling really anxious. Almost didn't leave the bed until they left.

Of course she she hasn't been as relaxed here as she is at home but I think she's still doing quite well overall. Has eaten all her meals (I admit with a little more prompting than usual), pees and poops, likes to sleep both in a bed and a box we set up for her..

However, she is not letting me test or inject her anymore and she's also not purring as much as before with me. She did let me on Saturday night and Sunday morning, but I might have forced her too much after the family visit and I had to do the same yesterday..
    My dad usually does most of the testing and injections but I had been practicing on weekends at their house and she let me do it. There, we did both things on the bed, one after the other, starting with cuddling and petting and ending with a treat or brushing after we were done. She never liked the testing much, but didn't seem to mind the insulin shot.
    Now she doesn't want me to cuddle her too close or put her on top of me, unless she initiates. I have tried to bribe her with food to stay in the sofa with me because this is a comfortable and well lit spot, but she doesn't want to stay here anymore. I would like to only do the testing and shooting at one place so the rest of the house remains safe and she doesn't hate me all the time..

Any advice for regaining my kitty's trust? This is my fourth day with her but it's actually the first day of my parents trip.. so 10 days ahead. And I need to be able to take care of her.

Nevermind. Solved it by not testing on her more than strictly necessary and giving her tuna or chicken as a treat while injecting the insulin. Sadly, it seems I messed up the shot this morning even though I though everything went OK.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.