Help for Young Cat with Broken Leg - Large Vet Bills - Phili

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JGinMA Lindy (GA), Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JGinMA Lindy (GA)

JGinMA Lindy (GA) New Member

Hi,

I haven't posted in a while (Lindy GA June 2009 but Shannon non-diabetic 16 year old hyperthyroid doing pretty well). But I'm on another board and there is a sad situation in the Philadelphia area. Not sure if any of you have encountered anything like this or have suggestions.

The husband accidentally stepped on the small cat - and broke her leg - took her to the vet and it sounded at first like the leg needed to be amputated - then sounded like things would be okay (husband feels terrible).

But the vet has said $3,500 for some sort of pin/external device to save the leg and recommends amputation at $2,000 - this family just does NOT have this kind of money - no where near it. So it sounds like the cat will need to be euthanized - the family is heartbroken.

The cat belongs to the young daughter. The cat is not diabetic - I just didn't know who else to ask.

Is there anyone or any organization that can help this family keep from losing their dear furry family member? Any advice?

Thanks,

Janice

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

OMG how awful and sad. can they apply for Care Credit by any chance? or does the vet hospital offer anything like that themselves? i found out recently that the local ER here doesn't take Care Credit for instance but they have a thing like Care Credit, just thru Wells Fargo instead.

and I can't help but ask if there's any chance of getting a second opinion, thus possibly a second estimate? my late Spazzie broke one of her hind legs years and years ago and she actually had a pin inserted in the leg bone then removed once she healed. she had nothing on the outside, just her stitches. and it cost me about what you mention, roughly $3300 for the first surgery, checkups w/ x-rays, and ultimately pin removal surgery. that was about 13 or so years ago. logic to me is if they're only putting something on the outside it would be cheaper? but i'm sure it all depends on what and where the break is. Spazzie's was just above the knee and completely broken in two.

poor kitty and poor family.

4. JGinMA Lindy (GA)

Hi,

Thank you so much for posting this link. I've passed it along and hope the family will be able to get some assistance.

Janice

5. JGinMA Lindy (GA)

Hi,

Thank you for caring so much and replying. I think they were trying to get a second opinion (and have records from the first vet, etc.). I think there was some reason for not being able to get Care Credit (I didn't know about the Wells Fargo alternative). I think the vet was going to put a pin in the leg as well as something outside (but I'm not sure).

They seem committed to finding a way to help the cat - although it might be amputation.

I would be crushed if this happened in my family.

Appreciate you responding and giving options/suggestions.

Janice

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding this family and kitty to my prayer list. I hope they get help.
    j.

7. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

fwiw, i would definitely look at IMOM. Maybe they can get something going to raise some funds. I think that could take some time though to gather up the funds and I think the cat has to wait until they do? I'm not up on their policies to be honest. I've seen someone on here though that has something to do with IMOM i think, maybe ask on Community if someone has ties to IMOM. cat and sweet max was just involved in some IMOM fundraising for her daughter's dog. maybe she can tell you some about how that works with them?

fwiw, amputation very well could be a good option. there was a recent adoptee or foster on here that just got a front leg amputated if i remember correctly and they are doing just fine last i read.

will keep thinking

8. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

The leg can be amputated at any vet hospital and if it is done at a general practice by a regular vet will likely cost significantly less--they should ask around. They need to make sure there is a good pain-control plan whereever they go. If a hospital says their only pain med is Torb (butorphanol), they need to run in the other direction as that is not a practice that is up to date.

Also, worst comes to worst, they can splint the leg and hope for the best. It will heal, although it may not heal in a way that allows good use of the leg, and then can be amputated if it causes more of a problem. WHile not a great choice, it's better than euthanasia. The only exception to this is if this is an open fracture -- the bone is sticking out -- in which case they need to take surgical action ASAP before the cat gets a massive infection which might be fatal.

9. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

The Humane Society of Berks County has its own veterinary hospitals in Reading and Douglassville. I don't know how far it is from them - Reading may be about an hour from Philly I think, but also depends on which part of Philly. I've no idea if they charge market rates or lower, but it may be worth a try to call and ask how they can treat, and the cost. http://www.berkshumane.org/vets/vets.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.